Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

The Excellent Healthy Recipe Thread

10K views 117 replies 39 participants last post by  concreteguy82 
#1 ·
It looks like there's A LOT of us that are striving to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle so why not start a thread that is filled with all of the delicious and HEALTHY recipes that everyone has found?

I'll start it off with my normal breakfast:

Three brown organic eggs, scrambled, very very light olive oil in the pan
Diced fresh green pepper
Diced fresh jalapeno
Diced fresh onion
Slice up whatever breakfast meat I have ready to go to add (No bacon :( )

Pour on plate and sprinkle with some ground chipotle pepper.

#7 ·
Thank you to the people that are actually contributing.

There's a lot of people on here that are doing the right thing and trying to lose weight, eat healthier and live a more active lifestyle. This thread is to share ideas on good recipes to help achieve that goal.

There's no reason to be a smartass and post about chili dogs and chocolate.

#12 ·
X2 on cooking light magazine. My wife has a subscription so we are always making stuff out of it and we also agree that there have only been a couple that weren't very good, in our opinion. Although, one slight complaint on Cooking Light recipes is that sometimes they call for some goofy ingredients that are hard to find and when you do, they are expensive.

#17 · (Edited)
A lot better. http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/eggs.aspx#axzz2RFFVnoyi It's not shell color but free range vs. cage raised. Free range chickens eat a lot of bugs and other variety that makes their eggs a lot tastier. Just crack one next to a white store egg, the yolk on the store egg is super pale in comparison.

Not a full recipe, but we roast kale about once a week. It's really good. Remove the super thick, tough stems (i.e. those as thick as your pinky), cut into bite size pieces (they shrink a bit), drizzle with some olive oil and salt, and then roast in an oven at 400* for probably 8 minutes. Keep an eye on it - once it starts to brown up it's ready, and if you don't catch it browning and take it out it will burn pretty quickly. Kale is a super dense green and when cooked like this it gets crunchy with really good flavor. Great substitute for potato chips as a side to burgers. Probably take you a try or two to master it but it's cheap.

#60 ·
Are you serious?

You are:
A) Probably not consuming enough calories.
B) Drinking a shake twice a day.
C) Probably not getting much exercise.

I eat almost 4,000 calories a day and I have dropped my percent body fat from 23-12% since january 1st. I have lost over 16lbs of fat and added 7lbs of lean body weight.

Eat real food + exercise (run, ride a bike, lift some weights, get your heart rate up) = lose weight.

#89 ·
So far today:
for breakfast I had 8oz of steak, 4 eggs over easy, 2 cups sliced/sautee'd yellow squash, zucchini, onion. Along with a protein shake (non paleo)

An hour later I had about 200 calories worth of trail mix (non paleo m&M's, sunflower seeds, raisins, peanuts) an apple, and a banana.

For lunch I have 8oz grilled chicken breast, 2 boiled eggs, 1/2 cucumber, mixed greens salad, mild peppers, etc. all mixed up
Out of curiosity I logged the above to see calorie and macro counts. Without knowing the ingredients in the protein shake the totals are ~ 1844cal, 81.73g fat, 85.67g carb, 192.77g protein.

Damn. My daily protein goal is 120-150g. Post up your dinner and any post-lunch snacks. I'm curious to see the numbers.

#90 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity I logged the above to see calorie and macro counts. Without knowing the ingredients in the protein shake the totals are ~ 1844cal, 81.73g fat, 85.67g carb, 192.77g protein.

Damn. My daily protein goal is 120-150g. Post up your dinner and any post-lunch snacks. I'm curious to see the numbers.
Protein shake is 170 calories, 30 grams protein, plus 8 oz milk, 1 banana, and 1 tablespoon peanut butter.

so far after lunch today i have had another cup or so of trail mix and I ate 2 apples, a banana and I had a tin of tuna.

I aim for 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound. I weigh 173 as of this morning.

Dinner tonight is meatloaf and green beans, maybe a sweet potatoe. Serving size of meatloaf will probably be 3, 2-3 servings of green beans, and sweet potatoe will probably be 2 servings (if you want to look up the calorie numbers)

Before bed I will eat some sort of fruit and probably some beef jerky or a boiled egg or something similar.

#16 · (Edited)
I am fortunate to like almost every vegetable I have ever eaten. This includes damn near everything out of the oceans and lakes.
So my healthy meals usually are light oils, low to no salt, high vegtable to meat dishes. My main problem is I can eat too much lol

Also I would like to say because of friends like Kerry I have ventured into trying vegetarian dishes and attempting to follow her lead in staying away from processed foods. It is very difficult with a wife and kids who fight and shut you down though:(

#32 ·
That is the benefit of only having dogs. Actually I eat a lot of veggies and I am never hungry. I am down 37lbs since Jan 5th and at my lowest weight in a very very long time. :woot:
A lot better. http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/eggs.aspx#axzz2RFFVnoyi It's not shell color but free range vs. cage raised. Free range chickens eat a lot of bugs and other variety that makes their eggs a lot tastier. Just crack one next to a white store egg, the yolk on the store egg is super pale in comparison.

Not a full recipe, but we roast kale about once a week. It's really good. Remove the super thick, tough stems (i.e. those as thick as your pinky), cut into bite size pieces (they shrink a bit), drizzle with some olive oil and salt, and then roast in an oven at 400* for probably 8 minutes. Keep an eye on it - once it starts to brown up it's ready, and if you don't catch it browning and take it out it will burn pretty quickly. Kale is a super dense green and when cooked like this it gets crunchy with really good flavor. Great substitute for potato chips as a side to burgers. Probably take you a try or two to master it but it's cheap.
To truly be free range they are pastured eggs (not pasturized). We buy those and the thing is that they are all different sizes and they do taste better.
I love making kale chips too. I got that recipe from wakebabe. I also make zucchini chips using the same recipe.

#24 ·
Agreed, guess I should have clarified. Our eggs come from my wife's parents farm and I can watch them eat bugs and grass. Tasty. :rock:

If you live somewhere that you can raise your own chickens and are of the mind to do so it could be rewarding. Chickens can also be a perfect natural pest control in your garden.

/hippy

#26 ·
I had two burgers for dinner. I didn't add cheese = healthy. On a side note, I rarely drink pop/sugary drinks and have been trying to get away from processed crap. I find I don't hurt as much as I used to. Shrug.

#27 ·
Baked chicken and brown rice with the fake spray butter. Child Toddler Skin Baby Nose

#40 ·
What? There is a world of difference in taste - to me!! The yolks of pastured chickens fresh eggs are so much more rich and buttery tasting. Maybe if you are scrambling them you don't notice it as much though. I bet if you went back to grain fed, caged eggs you would notice a difference right away.

I love duck eggs too.

#44 ·
I make my own spicy seasonings. The one I use the most of is my habanero, Serrano, jalapeño blend. I dry the peppers, break them into small chunks and put them in a seasoning grinder. You get the best flavor if you hang dry them but you can use the oven or dehydrator if you are in a hurry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.