Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

91 front waggy 44 to become a tj front 44

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeepaholic 
#1 · (Edited)
im getting a front Dana 44 out of a '91 Waggy, 6 on 5.5, Driver Drop, 2.73 gears, open diff.. im looking to make it a bolt in for my 02 tj with a 4.0 i want to change the bolt pattern to 5x5.5 and i was looking for some help with a list of what i will need to buy. i want to wind up with a front 44 tj axle with a super 44 kit that has 5x5.5. anyone have a nice list of what i need and or where to get it? its a big project just getting some ideas of what to get. thanx a lot. :beerbang:

#3 ·
I agree. This comes up frequently and people go crazy thinking about ways to do it just to keep the 5x4.5 because they like their wheels or something. Personally, I would do just jump to 8-lug or do them as a 6-lug set.

Read this recent one for some info on the 5x5.5:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=35855

#5 · (Edited)
I tried to find away and it just wasn't happening. Like monkeyevil said, I ended up going the adapter route in the rear. And for my gratuitous plug, I've got a rear waggy 44 that I'm wanting to sell if you're interested pm me. It's stock but has been stripped of brackets and cleaned decently.

Also just as some general info on making the front fit and usable. your going to need the following:

1. new gears ($115 - 150)
2. Install Kit ($75 -100)
3. new carrier for the gears (series 4 3.92 and numerically higher) - ($50 -70 on ebay)
4. may as well get new seals while you're in there ($21.99 x2 - Spicer 620257)
5. ball joints are a good idea. (about a $100 for good budget, about $160 for moog)
6. Lockouts if you're not going to run the slugs ($55 for MM, $90ish for Warn Premium)
7. Misc. brake parts (pads, rotor turning at a minimum, maybe new rotors and new calipers)
8. Misc. assembly parts (Gear lube, Brake fluid, Grinding wheels, welding etc)
----
if you want High steer and Crossover..
9. New flat top knuckles ($150 - 350: depends on if they are milled and drilled etc)
10. high steer arms ($100 - 200 depending on quality)
11. New drag link (depends on what you're gonna use)
12. New tie rod (depends on what you're gonna use)

I'm sure there are more parts that I'm forgetting but that's a good start. I figure that I'll have somewhere around $1100 into mine, it's going to be high/crossover steer but I'm not putting a locker in it. . .

#6 ·
Won't be bolt in. Need to buy at least $300 (from my personal research) worth of bracketry (or make them) and be a good welder, other wise it will cost more to have someone weld them in for you. Not a good first time fab project, if you don't know how to do it, pay someone who does. The same goes for setting up the gears, axleshafts, etc.

#11 ·
any have any experience with welding the brackets on for a tj front axle conversion? just looking for the best way to make sure we are centered before welding. we figure measure from center point and match measurements with a d30. any tips? thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.