Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Snowmobile clutch help...

696 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jeepguy74 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a 1994 Polaris XCR 440, I just got a new clutch for it....a Comet 108EXP.

On the website where I got the clutch from it automatically lists a replacement spring (green/yellow) and the cams that I need (48.0 grams)

My question is: Is this stock replacement? I want some more snap when I take off and maybe a little more top end...but I dont want to be to extreme in fear of damaging my motor.

Can anyone recommend what spring and cams to get?

I am planning on having it done for me, but I want to have all of the parts already when I drop it off.

Any input and help anyone can give would be great!

Thanks
Justin

#2 ·
I would guess those specs are for close to stock performance. Of course if the old one was wore out it'll be a lot better than what you had last winter. If I were you I'd start where you're at. What you want to do is find out where the engine makes the most power. What RPM, and then that is where you want to spin at wot. That little 440 is not going to want to sping real heavy weights. If you want to rev a little harder before take off a little stiffer spring would probably be ok, but if you're reving in the powerband I'd leave it alone.

-jeff b.

#3 ·
no the comet clutch is pretty nice(by no means extreme). i ran the same clutch on a 96 600 vmax xt. i liked it. very different launch rpm from stock. i think i was launching at about 4300 to 4400. at 4000 it would not move. if your worried about blowing it up stick with comets suggestion. try snowmobileworld.com too, see what they have to say.

#4 ·
that xcr 440 will take launches at 5500 to 6000 all day long ... i had one and it launched about 5300 ...only problem was it ran a little too high in the trails..but it was set up for snowcross and i delt with it....as far as commet stick with what it has in it and then call commet and tell them what you want differant if anything...comet knows what they are doing however you may want either a little more or little less rpm than what they reccomend....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.