Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

GOMI Toyota

11K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  4x4_toyota 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I have been SLOWLY working on a new project.
3 yrs ago - Warhof gave up a 4runner frame - http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=55890 - so I took it and stashed it away.. then my rally race team manager pass off a hit 84 solid axle plow truck.
This POS didn't run at all and was so rotted out with rust I'm surprised it didn't fall apart.
When no-one wanted to buy the parts, i rebuilt the weber carb and decided it would be a great toy to give my old-man for his retirement so he can come wheeln' with us - and not give a $hit about breaking it.

It has become a collection of more and more junk - that when built up- makes a great junk truck - "GOMI" style - its a Japanese word = Gomi is a slang word meaning trash or junk. It’s originally a Japanese word for dust or garbage, but it’s now used to describe anything that we discard or no longer value. GOMI strives to give renewed life and purpose to existing materials and technologies, so it is obviously pro-recycle and pre-cycle. GOMI materials were consumer goods - perhaps they’re past their obvious prime, but still useful and viable.

So, I kicked up the build and hope to debut early april - either Silver lake - or Attica...

For now, my long term goal is to make it a long travel IFS. Jumping junk that can take most trails and drive home.

What I started with... It had a wood bed

engine swap into Warhof's perfect colorado frame

Cab swapped over..

ALT fuel cell mounted - Sitting in Scubarunner's shop ( Thanks my friend )

See less See more
#40 · (Edited)
Just Got home... can't find my phone and I don't care !
:nana:
GOMI is on the Road ! and wow - does it need an alignment !

She rolled outta the shop at 11:58 - Just shy of the agreed deadline...
Big thanks to Scott !

Congrats to 7mRunner who finally got this thing outta my garage!

I think it was 00:04 on 04/04 when it finally left for real.
I bet it was more like 00:14... after we couldn't believe it was actually outta there !
:beerbang:

HUGE thanks to you - scubarunner !
I couldn't have built this for my Dad without your patience, help / and all the resources...

Now lets start hashing out that buggy !!!
:poke:
Those Solid axles aren't gonna go under any of my junk !

#41 ·
GOMI runs great !
Weber carb needs a little tune...
Compression checks ok..not great. 138,137,142,139... should be 144-172

Still need :

1. Hoop / stringers
    fenders completed.
    OEM seatbelts - 5 pt later
    center armrest
    Radio
    Power steering
    smaller sport steering wheel (get rid of that bus wheel)
    crank DOWN the Torsion bars

swap over the from the TURBORUNNER :

• 4:88 gears
    33's
    Procomp 4"

#46 ·
Lucky for me- I missed my road, pulled over to the side, and it fell off...
but note; I was doing 60+ all day sideways drifting and bombing dirt roads rally style....Praise GOD he was watching me that day !

MUDNTRUCK - how if your "FREERUNNER" project sketching out ?
:rock:
I need to come get my parts, maybe June 7 ?

#48 ·

Poor truck has been sitting since the trans went out, GOMI is getting rusty - sad to say I have been way to busy this summer to even work on it.

I need to get it back in the garage to pull the trans, and sort out some items...
Maybe I'll take it over and Ryan @ Lengerracing.com so we can get the long travel sorted. Ryan builds some of the sickest Long Travel jumping Rangers - and RallyCars.

#49 ·
Cool build. I myself will be starting a long travel ranger this winter. Everything will be new to me including welding LOL. It will also be a low budget build. I do already have the front long travel beams and some fabtec springs for the rear. I Cant wait to get started on it. What year is the toyota you got? I have a 90 parts truck here with a ton of parts. And a good auto trans,tcase, interior,and rolling chassis if you are interested.

#52 ·
GOMI heads home to Boyne with Dad

Well, bad and good news.
Gomi left my garage today to head to its new home with my Dad.
we need to put in the new clutch and IC regulator...

We were looking forward to DogParty - but it will have to wait until time is more available. there is always next year.

The space in the garage will allow for some higher priority projects, and the LONG TRAVEL IFS arm project.

#54 · (Edited)
I have a custom designed LT kit that I'm working on ( like a blazeland kit )
It got back burner - but I'm connecting with LENGERRACING.COM here in GR to get it back up to speed.

He is pretty serious about high-flying dune trucks.... and one of the best fab shops around !

These Ranger guys are killn Silver Lake Dunes and getting a reputation with Dezert Ranger guys on the westcoast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.