Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Stupid tough life decisions!

12K views 106 replies 31 participants last post by  kickstand 
#1 ·
As most everyone here knows, this has been a shit year for me. Always something.

I have been looking for a new place, because I cannot live in my current house for a number of reasons. Found a few, but nothing grabs me yet.

Been looking for a new job because my confidence in the management is waning.

Not entirely certain anymore if my dissatisfaction is external or internal. A growing part of me wants to run away- far away. But the rational side says this will not solve anything.

We went up to Mancelona for Thanksgiving, I found out that my brother in law's employer is looking for help with my exact skills, and they pay substantially more than where I am. I can also buy a much better place up there than I can down here. However, I also know that my wife would not be able to handle a northern Michigan winter.

So- do I leave everyone I know here to go live near my in laws, knowing that doing so will very likely end my marriage? We are pretty much just roommates now anyway.

If I take the job, I would be able to stay at one of the in laws places until I can get my own place, but by then I will be firmly set in my ways living single.

My mind isn't working right. People depend on me, and I don't want them to. Especially my wife. She likes to say " I don't know how I would survive without you" which in her mind I'm sure she feels that is a compliment, but my mind is screaming "No! Don't depend on me! Be self sufficient! There is no guarantee I will be here tomorrow, and I don't want to have to worry about you!"

Wife has been bitching all day about her teeth. Had all her teeth pulled and got dentures, but won't wear them unless she is eating. I try to tell her she will never get used to them doing that, but what I really want to tell her is to shut the fuck up, if she had gone to the dentist and taken care of her natural teeth she wouldn't have dentures.

When she doesn't have her teeth in, I can't stand to look at her. Maybe I am shallow, but jeez is that gross.

At least I found a carb gasket, now I can get my son's car running for no apparent logical reason.

yeahm this is hard to follow reading it, isn't it? Imagine how hard it is to follow when you're thinking it.

So, um, anyway..... I need to figure out the following:

Leave Eastpointe y/n
Leave my job y/n
Leave my wife y/n
leave my sanity y/n

And the worst part?

I'm sober.

See less See more
#13 ·
Manceltucky isn't a bad place. Decent scenery and cheap houses. Not a whole lot for entertainment though. Our winters really aren't that bad, it seems like only every 5 years or so is a good (bad) one anymore. Probably enough to rely on for sledding and that is pretty popular around that area. I don't know the answers to your questions but good luck.

#16 ·
Stay sober, make adult decisions. I would think an in home nurse would be able to find income anywhere. Make your decision that you feel is right and offer her the opportunity to join you. If she says no (to coming with and wearing her dentures, its not like your from Louisiana, toothless is a turn on for nobody) then make the decision for yourself.

#27 ·
Life changes, situations change. Hearts change. Get moving. If your wife supports you then she can deal with it and follow. You need a win for once.

I have done work in Mancelona many times. It's nice up there.

For the rest of your days, nobody is looking back in the mirror but you. Time to take care of #1.

#36 ·
I'm am hoping I get a callback from the northern Michigan job, it's machine maintenance again, but I like that kind of work and there's no more travel.

I can afford the type of property I want, and I can deal with the winters. Only downside is @Immortal will want to bunk with me all winter. :sonicjay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.