Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Would you live next to a school?

3K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  dbikers 
#1 · (Edited)
We are looking at houses and we found several that we really like. But, one of them backs right up to an elementary school. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone?

What are your opinions?

EDIT: I should add that we have no kids.

#5 ·
Traffic is a bummer when the busses come in and leave. Parking lot is nice to have for weekend parties. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me UNLESS your house would be situated so that kids are tempted to use your yard to cut through to the school. That's a liability I wouldn't be interested in having.

#6 ·
Traffic is a bummer when the busses come in and leave. Parking lot is nice to have for weekend parties. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me UNLESS your house would be situated so that kids are tempted to use your yard to cut through to the school. That's a liability I wouldn't be interested in having.
Good points.

We have a dog so I would be putting up a fence. Since the house backs right to the school, you are allowed to put up a six foot fence, which I would do.

#8 ·
I would say no. I sometimes am up late at night for work so I dont want to hear all of the noise from the school the next morning. We actually looked at a house that backed up to a school, which was in pretty decent shape, but the school thing was a definite no for us.

#9 ·
I live behind one and it's great.

It's a street over, so no bus traffic. Kids are out during the day during school, so quiet on weekends, holidays, and most of summer. And unless windows are open, noise level is less than a lawnmower. Cheerleading practice gets tiresome in Aug-Oct, but no biggee (I know all the cheers now).

Essentially, I have a 10-20 acre open space behind me that I have access to (through a gate), that is maintained, and will never have houses on it. I like it.

#11 ·
I was more thinking the weirdos who might hang out there after school.

I would say no. I sometimes am up late at night for work so I dont want to hear all of the noise from the school the next morning. We actually looked at a house that backed up to a school, which was in pretty decent shape, but the school thing was a definite no for us.
That isn't an issue for me since its elementary school, and I am up at 5am to go to work everyday.

For some reason though, I just can't seem to decide if I would be ok with it or not. We do plan on having kids eventually so it would be nice then I suppose.

#16 ·
we live down the street from an elementary school. i have no problems with it. it's great to take the kid there to play.

#18 ·
Wouldn't it fall into a "Drug Free School Zone"? Would there be any issue with hanging out in your own yard having some drinks (or whatever else you may do) during a party? Not sure if it would apply, but may want to check.

#24 ·
An elementary school wouldn't bother me. In fact, when we were looking at houses this spring, we made a point of it to try and find a house as close to the schools as possible so that any kids we may have could walk or bike to school.

There are a bunch of schools in my neighborhood and though we don't live directly adjacent to one, there are a few schools right across from the houses behind us. The only problem I would mention is that traffic can get a little busy on certain roads in the early morning and around 3:30 in the afternoon.

If you are really concerned about stuff like that, try driving through the neighborhood that you are considering on a few different occasions at different times of day to see what it's like.

I will say that when the kids are outside for recess, they can be pretty loud... or at least a lot louder than I had imagined. But after about a week, I didn't even notice it and I am generally at work when they are there anyway.
T

#25 ·
Couple of things. I would love to back up to an elementary school.

The Drug-Free School zone stops at the property line. Added to the fact that you want to put up a six-foot fence. The other thing is if you plan on having kids. You will never have to worry about a sex offender moving in next door. Also, the neighborhoods around the schools in town are very well established, here in Howell. The other schools are in the middle of corn fields:sonicjay:

I would go for it.

#26 ·
Couple of things. I would love to back up to an elementary school.

The Drug-Free School zone stops at the property line. Added to the fact that you want to put up a six-foot fence. The other thing is if you plan on having kids. You will never have to worry about a sex offender moving in next door. Also, the neighborhoods around the schools in town are very well established, here in Howell. The other schools are in the middle of corn fields:sonicjay:

I would go for it.
:sonicjay:

#27 ·
I live about 2 blocks from my son's elementary school, I would have no problem backing up to it. The one problem I would have living closer though is traffic. Not the bus's, but the stoopid parents. Lord, I have seen them do some incredibly dumb sh!t when picking up their kids.
*also don't forget, most schools run at least one evening thing a month. confrences, concerts, movie night, fund raisers ect....

find out when school is getting out and go sit nearby and watch the traffic paterns. most schools publish it online.

#32 ·
I live about 2 blocks from my son's elementary school, I would have no problem backing up to it. The one problem I would have living closer though is traffic. Not the bus's, but the stoopid parents. Lord, I have seen them do some incredibly dumb sh!t when picking up their kids.
*also don't forget, most schools run at least one evening thing a month. confrences, concerts, movie night, fund raisers ect....

find out when school is getting out and go sit nearby and watch the traffic paterns. most schools publish it online.
That"s a good idea, but I work later than the kids go to school.

#29 ·
I have always lived behind a highschool, less than 1/8mi. It can get a little annoying at times to be honest. You can hear the football/sporting events and during marching band season you can fucking hear the damn noise!!! Its not very loud but loud enough to annoy.

#31 ·
my buddy lives right across the street from an elementary school, (the one I actually went to way back when) and we have permission to ride the trails with our quads, the school has lots of woods and private property all around it with which we have permission to ride. Actually quite nice, finally get some use out of our tax dollars LOL

#33 ·
A couple people have braught up the "Drug Free School zone" thing and I think it does extend a Certain distance past the school property lines. I know of many friends that live near an elementary for that reason alone. If you live near one you know the people won't be doing that kind of stuff because of the school being there. I think it's up to half a mile or something like that. It also Depends on if the Property backs up to the Play ground or the side of the building. If it backs up to the play ground you should get a Big Mastif and call it Hercules, The kids might call him "the beast" or something. :teehee:

#35 ·
Well, I just found out from someone my fiancee works with (who lives in the area) that the school is closed and they are going to turn it into a community center. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.