Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

electronics store rant

8K views 129 replies 35 participants last post by  gmotox 
#1 ·
So I've been dealing with this for about a month now and I need to rant.
I purchased 3 new phones and was talked into purchasing a protection plan for all 3 that covered "all" accidental damage. The associate that sold me on the protection plan went as far as to tell me " if you drop any of these in a porta potty, just come in and tell us what happened and we'll replace it". I thought I couldn't go wrong. Fast forward 2 months: I was helping my stepdad load his boat onto his trailer for the winter and my phone fell off the clip and dropped into the very edge of the lake. No big deal because I pay for this awesome insurance right? The next day I take my phone into the store and tell the person behind the counter exactly what had happened expecting him to say no problem let's take a look and get it fixed for you. Much to my surprise he said " your plan doesn't cover submersions" and walked away. I asked to speak with the manager and after 15 minutes the manager appeared and I explained what I had been told when I purchased the phones and insurance. He told me " it's not our problem that you were told that we're not going to do anything about it". I then told him I'd never spend another dime in the store and he said " We will survive without your business".
To date no one has even looked at my phone and I am still getting the runaround from them.
In closing if you buy anything from Best Buy don't pay for their insurance because they apparently don't have to honor it if they don't feel like it.

See less See more
#14 ·
Had the same problem with a Best Buy warranty on a home stereo, my mother fought them on a computer warranty, and my Dad had problems also. Best Buy Customer Service blows and I will never give them any business again.
I got the same sales pitch of "if anything happens and your model is discontinued then you get the newest model no questions asked just bring it back"
There is so many Best Buy unhappy warranty/insurance complaints on the web, I don't know how they are still in business.

Best Buy manager actually told me they don't deal with manufactures, that's the customers problem. I ended up getting my problem resolved with a few calls to Yamaha (who laughed at what I was told and called Best Buy and told them it be better be taking care of and to give me next best model) and 5 more trips to the store it was finally handled.
I will not shop at Best Buy ever again!
Sorry for your bad luck, lesson learned!

#15 ·
You should know by now, never tell anybody that your phone went swimming. I've never seen an insurance plan that covers it. Always tell them that it hit something and broke or the like.

On to something that might actually be constructive....did you call Best Buy corporate? I've heard many a story with customers calling corporate and getting that they want. Granted it was with Meijer, but same difference

#16 ·
If your phone gets wet it needs to disappear. There are sensors in the phone that turn color when they get wet. I've had warranties on a couple phones and they always say when it gets back to the place where the exchanges are handled they will check and if it got wet I wouldn't get my credit.

#18 ·
Which brings up another question; why about if that little strip thing gets wet somehow, turns color, but the phone works perfectly and you actually do drop it and break it? Would you still get your credit?

I actually did have that happen to me, I had a samsung phone that I needed to have it replaced because I broke the screen or something, and the wet strip was activated (or whatever it does), it was never submerged and still worked fine until I actually broke it

#33 ·
As much as i agree with your plight of being lied to by a retail store to get the sale and the pat on the back from boss and most likely a couple extra bucks on paycheck, as it has happened to me before, it is your responsibility to know whats covered not the salesman. And as someone thats worked retail for years, no one gives a shit how much money you claim you spend there or if you decide to shop somewhere else. And few things piss off management more then getting called over and asking what the problem is and getting a long winded story about how much money you spend there every year, just get to the point and you'll get your answer, keep trying to throw your buying power around and i'll show you the door you keep threatening to walk out of. Enjoy your online shopping in the future, good luck with your "stolen" phone.

#35 ·
I feel your pain.

Years ago, before Circuit City went out of business I shopped at best buy. I bought a sub woofer and amp for my car, hooked it all up, bought the warranties, blah blah blippity blah.

Later the Amp stopped working, I took it into the Best Buy store where I had purchased it and I had the same story, your plan doesn't cover water submersion.

This amp has never been under water.

Well there is surface rust on the screws, so it must have gotten wet.

Ummm, Hi, we live in michigan, cars have condensation in them from time to time espescially in the winter.

Sir, we are not covering your amplifier under warranty, and if you do not leave we will call the police on you.

I then took my business to circuit city and then they went bankrupt and I had a sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.