Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

St Helen rock course 5/18/12

8K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  feva4u 
#1 · (Edited)
#35 ·
I can't comment on specific tube numbers but there were boulders put between a couple near the top from day one. I went down the tubes when the DNR and contractors were there and they decided to put boulders in after watching me almost flop. They got scared and said they better add some filler due to liability.

There are some pics floating somewhere.

#39 · (Edited)
This pic was taken 10/28/10. Boulders already being installed between tubes.

On another note, there were comments about thanking those responsible. First on the list is Pat Kinne, (creativefab) of GLFWDA and Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association (glfwda)

Major players were Paul Hittie of glfwda and Paige Perry of the DNR. Without Paige's support and Pat's efforts, this would never have turned out so good.

#40 ·
On another note, there were comments about thanking those responsible. First on the list is Pat Kinne, (creativefab) of GLFWDA and Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association (glfwda)

Major players were Paul Hittie of glfwda and Paige Perry of the DNR. Without Paige's support and Pat's efforts, this would never have turned out so good.
So you're saying the guy who owns St. Helen Powersports isn't solely responsible for those rocks?

I bet this will be a disappointment!

#43 ·
We were up there over the weekend, and I was disappointed to see what we all knew would happen eventually - the middle challenge has a lot of displaced rocks. Down to the construction cloth in a big area, lots of rocks moved either down the hill or over to the left where the challenge has gotten much wider. The other obstacles still look pretty good, but the moving rocks have left a big ledge at the top, with nothing under your rear wheels for traction except that cloth which will not last long. I sent a note to to Paige and Amanda, but I have never heard any mention of a budget for R&R.

#46 ·
We were up there over the weekend, and I was disappointed to see what we all knew would happen eventually - the middle challenge has a lot of displaced rocks. Down to the construction cloth in a big area, lots of rocks moved either down the hill or over to the left where the challenge has gotten much wider. The other obstacles still look pretty good, but the moving rocks have left a big ledge at the top, with nothing under your rear wheels for traction except that cloth which will not last long. I sent a note to to Paige and Amanda, but I have never heard any mention of a budget for R&R.
Maybe now they will realize that we were right when we said the fabric underneath is not so good of an idea. The rocks need to be able to settle into the dirt, not sit on top of a toboggan.

Now, instead of letting it go flat, we need another project to bring in more rocks at the tops.:thumb:

#49 · (Edited)
The DNR should take a look at some of the techniques used by IMBA for sustainable trail building with minimal maintenance. Obviously mountain bikes are different then jeeps, but our trails see a lot of use, erosion, rock and log stacking/clearing, as well.

I hope they don't close it down and actually help repair or allow it to be repaired.

#51 ·
We had several discussions on the placement of these rocks on the yellow sand in this area. We knew we had to use some sort of "retaining device" and were hoping the large rocks would stay in place therefore keeping the smaller stuff in between them. Guess that is not happening. Even the excavation contractor had no good alternatives.

I do wonder if the rocks themselves will eventually settle into their place and we can somehow place more if we need to on top of them. Mind you this will take additional funding and maybe even another grant request. These items were discussed in the several on-site meetings but none of us believed we would see it so soon. Time to get to work on a solution it seems, let the ideas fly!

#64 ·
The force created by a powered stickie tire is far greater than I ever imagined. We used posts and logs at the Mounds and some of them were ripped loose almost immediately. I have had a tire grab a boulder the size of a refrigerator and move it. I can't imagine any way of holding a rock on a slope other than the sheer size of the rock and a firm rock base down below it. Of the places I have wheeled, only those with rocks the size of cars don't move.

#72 ·
I have been there a few times now and have noticed the changes but watching a few go up the ledges you can understand how the rocks are moving so quickly. That skinny pedal is the only way it seems to get up there once your at that point and backing up is just as hard. This is also causing the runs to get wider cause the easy lines are just off the rocks.

Looking at how narrow the runs started and how they are now, I also understand how there getting wider.

Many of the people trying the rocks are just like me, new to the sport, and run in to problems. Its not like there have been many places to try this out prior to St.Helen on public lands.

My first run I broke and got stuck in the middle of the run to the far left of the tubes. There looked like there was a run off that got blocked that would have been perfect to get me out but it was blocked by a pile of trees. I spent hours backing it back down a few feet at a time. I didn't want to make a trail, cause that would ruin the run, but not everyone thinks like me.

I think everyone is complaining about something that there is little control over. Not everyone thinks of how your going to leave something for other to use.

I understand that if the runs get to hard no one will use them, but if they all stay easy with the rocks where you would like them none of the larger rigs will use them and that can lead to less wanting to go there.

I think that before large sums of monies are spent on replacing the rocks and rebuilding the trails, maybe there should be a sign put up saying something simple like "Please enjoy the area but please try to leave it how you found it for other to enjoy". Sometimes a $20 sign reminding people works best.

#75 ·
I would be afraid to show up there with a truck load of rocks and try to drop them - might get a ticket for littering!

Seriously though we have recently opened a dialogue with the DNR about a long-term plan for maintenance for the rocks, but very early in the process so nothing really to report other than to let you know they know there is a problem but they need to formulate a plan since this is something new for them. I have not made a trip out to the Mounds yet this spring to see how the Woodlands course faired over the mild winter, but I assume at some point DNR and GCP will need to take a look at maintenance there too, although since the land is flat the biggest problem will be settling, like the Phase 2 pile has done over the last few years.

#78 ·
If glfwda can get approval to move the rocks from GIC to St. Helens, I have to imagine we could organize something to get them moved without spending thousands of dollars.

Maybe i am a bit to optimistic, but there has to be people with large equipment that also have a interest in offroading. I would be willing to help organize the movement if glfwda can get the approval.

#76 ·
Sidebar about the Mounds. We discussed reviewing the layout after a year to determine what has seen use and what rocks ended up just laying in the woods because no one used them. Quite honestly, there are some very hard technical lines that I don't think anyone has tried yet. I'll be there on the 16th and see how it looks. Paul, maybe you can bring your rig to give it a whirl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.