Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

planing hiking trip!! Isle Royale, Advice needed

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Muttly 
#1 ·
Two friends and i want to go backpacking on isle royale! I know there are some backpackers and hikers within GL4X4. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this island.

What should i look out for?

What's the average cost for a week long trip?

What type of climate are we talking?

The shelters...How easy are they to get?

How populated is it in late august?

Anything else i should know?

#2 ·
I was there June 30 - July 8th

What should i look out for? Rocks and rain

What's the average cost for a week long trip? Not including gear like packs, tents, water filter ect., we did the trip for $400 per person, gas and food up and back and everything on the island

What type of climate are we talking? In late June / July we had lows in the 40s and might have hit 60s a couple of times. The shore is cooler than up on the Greenstone.

The shelters...How easy are they to get? We were a group over 6 so we couldn't use shelters, but they were still availible at most camps we stayed at. August is probably a different story, some people get up at 5:00 and rush to the next camp to secure a shelter.

How populated is it in late august? Don't know, but it is the "busy" season (we went 2 days without seeing anyone)

Anything else i should know? Awsome place, great views, are you an experienced backpacker? get your pack weight minus food and water below 20 pounds, plan on 2 pounds of food per day. We did 56 miles in 7 days of hiking. PM me and I can send along food lists and gear lists. (it will not be until next week)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.