Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Transmission line removal 06 LJ

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tweak177 
#1 ·

I’m in the process of replacing the timing chain in a 2006 LJ with a 4.0.
At this point I’m having trouble getting the automatic transmission cooling lines removed from the radiator.
I’ve tried the quick disconnect tools made for fuel lines but can’t seem to get them off.
Is there a special tool or a trick to this?
Thanks so much,
Jake

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a special tool. I could not locate one at any auto supply places. You have to slide the white part back and you will see a clip in there. Not really supposed to take them out, but you can, but be careful, they like to fly away. I think they call them jiffy connectors.

#7 ·
I can't thank you enough.
I was able to pull the white collars back and remove the clips however one of the lines is frozen in there.
Spray lubricant and compressed air were unable to free it up.
My next thought was to cut the line and reconnect it when the job is finished.
Am I correct in thinking that the lines are low pressure?
In the passed I have used this method to install transmission coolers.

#12 ·
Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a Ford Fuel line disconnect kit. If they ask for a make/model tell them 87 Ford Ranger (the one I bought the kit for originally). My kit has about half a dozen plastic rings you pop in, then pull the line out. I've used it on all sorts of other "jiffy" connectors since then and it works great.

If you have to cut the line, use a proper cutting tool to avoid shavings, and make sure you use fuel/oil rated hose for the "repair" portion with double hose clamps. Non-fuel rated line will melt and get soft with trans fluid.

#13 ·
If you have already removed the jesus clip (they are called that because when you drop it, you start praying), clamp a pair of locking plyers on the line only enough to get a good grip without damaging the line and smack the plyers with a hammer or prybar. Works more then it doesn't for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.