Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

What kind of truck am I looking for?

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
I need input for a new truck. I won't actually buy it, but I feel like dreaming a bit.

I've needed a truck about 6 times just this month and I'm starting to get ticked off constantly having this feeling of inadequacy. Oh, move my trailer? Sure, let me make a phone call and wait until I can arrange to borrow something.... Dirt for the yard? Sure, let me make 4 trips with the Jeep and a tarp in the back. Need to drop off some steel on the way home! Just spend a half hour wraping it up to keep the seats from being torn up.

Must be older than 1990.
Tow 8k lb trailer
3/4 ton min
8lug axles
Stick
V8 or Diesel
Easy to work on
Different.
a work truck
Under 4k running and driving
2 doors

I want something that can work hard and not care. Pull a stump out. Move 1500lbs of steel. Move my trailer around. Dump dirt in the back. I want functional. It would be great if it could tow my junk down the freeway at 65. No carpet, no ac, no radio... Strong frame, simple suspension.

Tell me they made this. Then tell me what to look for.

See less See more
#26 ·
why pre 1990 and why a stick?

1999- 2002 chevy with a 5.3 would work nice, decent fuel economy, and can be in that price range

or a utility trailer to tow behind your jeep, would work for dirt and steel hauling.

oh and what trailer do you need to move that the jeep won't do it?

#27 ·
why pre 1990 and why a stick?

or a utility trailer to tow behind your jeep, would work for dirt and steel hauling.

oh and what trailer do you need to move that the jeep won't do it?
Complete lack of electronic stuff. I would prefer a stick, but would downgrade to an auto if everything else was ok.

My jeep doesn't have a hitch, I don't have room for another trailer, and I need to tow more than the jeep is rated for.

#31 ·
I would think an automatic would be preferable in a general purpose work truck, especially if you are wanting to do something like pulling stumps. backing up to trailers, etc, Auto >> Stick.

I would go down south/west and fine something clean.

you will have a lot of trade offs going that early. Yes, it'll have less electronics (but it will still have electronics and wiring, thats 25-40 years old, and well beyond the life it was designed for), but it'll have years of wear, it'll have far inferior brakes, worse steering, etc than anything modern.

There's always a nostalgia factor that people remember the good old time when cars didn't have all this new fangled crap...:blah: THey were also a lot crappier cars back then too. 25+ years old, then you seriously need to consider how are the bushings, springs, joints, brake hoses & lines, shocks, steering components, etc. Because those things will likely all be worn out, then it rides and drives sloppy and hell, which totally sucks when you are using it as a work truck and its loaded down.

I would think some 80s chevy 3/4 ton would be the top of my list if I was looking for that setup. With a TH400 trans, and either a 350 or 454. Proven, solid truck.

But for the money, I'd go find a regular cab long bed 3/4 ton that is getting depreciated out of a company. Usually can pick one up that not too old for about $5000. I've seen 7 year old duramax trucks go for $6000 for plain white single cabs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.