Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Rockwelled Grand Cherokee

4K views 56 replies 33 participants last post by  GOTRCKS 
#1 ·
well i have noticed that some were interested in pictures of the exo caged ZJ. yes rockwells are going under it with 44s. i have three pictures i snapped last night when i got it on the ground for the first time. i havent had much time to work on it lately i have been pritty busy with other stuff.

it will sit about 3 inches lower than it does in these pictures i have not adjusted anything. also it is not close to done yet. i hated this thing but now it is unreal it will be bad ass now and capable with the front and rear steer it should help this over weight big beast get around corners.

It has a 118" inch wheel base now. the whole sub unibody has been 3/16 plated on all sides front to back then the new suspension was added on with johnny joints on both ends on each link. with 2" 1/4 wall dom uppers and 2.25" 3/8" wall lowers. detroit lockers in the diff's and full hydro steering from PSC. not to mention it has a 4 speed atlas now. the drive shafts are 1410 u joints with 1/8" wall tubes. this think should be a tank.

i think it will weigh a lot more now haha but he will be beating the hell out of this rig i can promise that. there is still a lot more to do on this considering i have been working on this rig for him on my own time to finish it and get it out on the trail.

here are a few pictures. not great pictures but you get the picture the wheel wells and a lot more still need to be finished and it will sit 3 inches lower at ride height.

See less See more
#24 ·
There is just enough room to clear the exo-cage when taking them out.

I picked up some new fenders since we lengthened the wheel base. We have to measure and cut the new ones and then send them out for paint. I have new doors, and a new hatch getting done as well. I am going to have the whole vehicle cleaned up and repainted too.

Thanks for asking, as I know it looks rough with out the body panels.

Please keep in mind, that the pictures put up are not of final assembly. Chop just wanted to show you a few to ease everyone's curiosity.

#17 ·
that thing is one bad ass uni-body.... I love it!! Glad to see her on all fours.

I have seen the suspension, and how it was built on this first hand, and it is amazing craftsmanship and is going to work amazing as well.... With a very low center of gravity, wide stance, and good belly clearance should be a very capable rig!! awesome work Jason!!

#25 ·
The rear stinger is so large because there used to be a spare tire back there. I am going to have them make it lower, and bring it in a bit, since I will not be carrying my 44" spare off of the back anymore.

I am also considering lowering the front one too and bringing that one in a bit as well.

#23 ·
it will have a lock out pin on the rear steer so it wont be to crazy bad to control. but the pinion brakes will not be cool. and he wont be driving it on the road! but im sure a seasonal road to get from trail to trail if need be or a parade.

I love driving my jeep on the street and i have one off suspension, full hydro, and 40s. It drives great actually. but the exo ZJ Will Not be on the streets it will be a show/Wheeler only type of rig

#26 ·
I will pay to have this thing weighed
We have been joking about that around the shop. Talking about making a board with some squares and putting in a $1 to see who can get the closest.

I will be weighing it to see how much more or less it may weigh after the new upgrades.

#29 ·
Wow who seriously cares about hood scoops and driving a rig built to wheel on the street. you all can sure talk a good game but i cant wait to see what you people do in person on the trail. come on now everyone has there rig the way they want it. im sure i can pick out flaws and dumb shit on a lot of rigs but do i NO because its not my ride so why would i give a shit. if they like it thats all that matters.
thats the reason i have never typed up a build thread. way too much drama and useless comments.

on a side note how many degrees of steering do you plan on in the rear?

how close on when stuffed will the rear tires come to the body?

#32 ·
on a side note how many degrees of steering do you plan on in the rear?

how close on when stuffed will the rear tires come to the body?
i will be allowing as much as i can. as far as the tire clearance i will be re working the wheel openings a lot. but i dont want to make them look big and gaudy as hell ya know i will know more when i get to work on it a little more. we are just so busy. we have 4 very Big build ups right now and 3 more on the way in the next month or two. just havent been able to touch it that much. not to mention i have been building the 2TE products and designing more for people everyday.

I'm pretty sure my post is the nicest I have ever been to anthony since he pissed me off 5 years ago. I'm making progress :finger:

Don't get me wrong chop, your work looks good, I just don't know if I can say that....
thats ok people will have mixed feelings on it and i cant believe you have been nicer to him, thats cool. the suspension on this rig is prity much tube so it will be a little diffrent with the sponsers we got this year i had had some cool things to work with. i will post up more pictures is a little while. you have to admit it does get old as hell seeing people rip on the owner when the thread has nothing to do with him personally ya know. its the internet and people will be people i guess :sonicjay: some of it can be funny though. who ever came up with bacon pockets i laughed my ass off at that one. but i will bet my life that he is working on getting sponsered by hot pockets now.

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.