Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

haror freight 12000lbs winch

13K views 68 replies 45 participants last post by  JeepInABox 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experiance with this winch. Its on sale now for 299.00. I know its overkillfor a YJ but I figure it should last longer if its not operating at its max all the time.

#5 ·
This.

I love mine, I've beaten the tar out of it and it's never given me a lick of trouble. Bought it back in about 2005, and use it regularly. A little on the slow side, but speed doesn't bother me. I've also been told that they are made by Mile Marker.

#14 ·
just another thing to think about, but you can get the smitty built XRC8 for less than the price of the harbor freight winch. I paid $290 with a free winch cover on ebay from truckaddons. Its been great on my XJ, my buddy had had the XRC8 on his YJ for years now and its plenty strong enough, i have seen him winch directly to the right of his winch and pull the jeep up on its side when he fell thru the ice (the winch was also under water). Its a great winch for the price and at least then your buying brand name. You wont be let down by its pulling power, plenty enough power for a YJ

#18 ·
I got the coupon for it in the mail too. $299 for the 12k. Where did you get it down to the $279 price?

I had to be pulled out of a mud hole by a 8k one last year when my warn 8274 died (bad solenoids). It was slow but I made it out. If I had the extra money right now I would jump on the deal

#29 ·
I have the older 10k hf one and has never failed me. Never stops pullin, drug my truck on 44s with them almost gone under mud with johns fj40 hooked behind me dead weight, pulled cable most the way out, hook up, pull, repeated for 3 to 4 hours, without any trouble. But they are SUPER slow

#30 ·
I have an older HF8000 winch it has never failed to work when I needed it. A couple times it needed a break before I could spool the cable back in.

Where are the cheaper Warn Winches made? I bought their receiver clevis mount over another one because the because the box said made in the USA. When I opened it the mount said made in Korea and the clevis was a cheap chinese one I am afraid to use. I sent Warn an E-mail and never got a reply but the boxes don't say made in USA anymore. The box was the only thing made here.

#38 ·
And that's why I like you, even though I don't know you. You exhibit a fine sense of morality.

FYI a warranty doesn't exist so that you can receive a new product for whatever reason you like within the warranty period. That is what we enlightened types know as 'fraud'. Perhaps your sense of morality allows you do this without guilt, as it seems. Mine and others wouldn't, because we recognize it for what it is - wrong.

#40 ·
Are you guys running the older chicago electric ones or the newer badlands version?

You can get the badlands 9000 for 280 right now with coupon. Thinking about grabing one since I currently have nothing.

#45 ·
I bought one of the small cheap hf winch, Its been.used a few times works good for what it is,and has a wireless remote

I bought the extended warranty thinking I would burn it up in a year... Turns out I was wrong but for the extra $5 or 10 bucks it was cheap insurance if I ever had a problem with it,

I've been thinking of buying a hf badlands winch, because of the price, and seem pretty reliable, as far as line speed I'm not a professional rock crawler and could care less!! Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.