Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Replace gague face with sweet color one?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  wave_crusher 
#1 ·
So I was looking at trucks and stuff online, while i was taking a break from web wheeling and came across some trucks that have aftermarket gauge faces installed. I've seen them before and always thought they made a unique look to a standard gauge. I started looking around online to see what I could find and how hard they are to install, nothing real flashy like neon colors or flames, i'm not a lower rider f*g kinda guy. I came across this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-99-C-K-Y...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Thought it looks pretty cool, but i did see that I would have to put in new wires/splice into existing...whatever, anyway I just wanted to know if anyone has done one and if it's difficult/safe to do. I mean if i mess something up i'm not gonna screw up my spedo and be going 45 in a 25 and think i'm doing 30 mph right?

I'm by no means a master mechanic and I f**king hate electrical, but i know my way around a vehicle, so is this something i could do in an afternoon or is it something that an actual professional (aka, smart person) do

#4 ·
Ummm no? I don't think its a waste of money, unless I was talking about posting 200+ bucks, yea that would be a waste. On the same not, wheeling an HD is throwing away money, I'll take it off your hands for ya

As for unless stuff to buy, I did find some face skins, instead of messing around with wires and stuff you just stick them on over the old gauges.

#6 ·
It pretty much is, but actually i'd rather ask around and see what other people have learned and look like a re-tard then go in all balls up and f-ck something up because i had no idea what i was doing

...kinda like self education?

#7 ·
meh, the people who know their stuff pretty well on this site don't speak up much. its mostly flashy pictures and getting a good pat on the back.

most decent kits you'll find come with the tool to seperate the needles, and step by step color instructions. just take your time and don't be forceful. If you can find and replace the soft plastic cover they put over the instrument cluster, also do that. It will make your job pop that much more.

being the owner of a 88-99 obs, I'm sure you're familiar with the dash cover removal for heater/dimmer switch replacements? that's like 60% of getting it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.