Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Amc 360 Vs. Dodge 360?

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  deuce228 
#1 ·
Are they the same? I have an 84 Dodge 1/2ton with a 318 in it now. I have a friend :)bio: ) that has a 79 AMC 360 that he is looking to get rid of. Will his AMC 360 bolt up the same as any other chrysler small block? Do I have to mod a bunch of stuff to make it work? thanks for any help

#4 · (Edited)
No, completely different motors....

Perhaps you could get an AMC TF727 bellhousing, though, to the dodge trans..Dunno..

Geez, I suppose you'll be needing that brushguard now to stand on..

AMC motors are pretty decent actually. I'd take a AMC 360 over, say, a 305 Anyway.

305s are for homos..

#5 · (Edited)
I remember from looking into a T-18 swap that the bellhousing patterns (engine block side) were the same for the AMC I6's and the V8's up to 401 if I remember correctly, and interchangeable with the 4.0's. I think some lengths might be different, I recall some variation in input shaft lentghs (which ones I have no idea). Theres a multitude of conversions and adapters for Jeep/AMC transmissions and bellhousings, I'm sure theres a way to fit something strong and reliable enough back there. Thats getting expensive though.

#6 ·
there is a dodge 360 for sale in the parts section right now under something about a 1980 dodge then you could just get the right flex plate and not have to worry about it at all just a though

#9 ·
clarkstoncracker said:
I really don't know a thing abotu AMC engines, or any engine to be honest.. I just like making fun of PP, because I believe if it were legal, he would marry a AMC engine.

Hey... there's nothing wrong with wanting to marry an AMC engine.....

shoot, I hope the wife doesn't find out about the one I have in the garage :tonka: :tonka:

#10 ·
user name said:
there is a dodge 360 for sale in the parts section right now under something about a 1980 dodge then you could just get the right flex plate and not have to worry about it at all just a though

thanks for the heads up. I pm'd him about the engine and the plow :swampjeep

#11 ·
just a heads up 360s are balanced different than the 318 and i think you have the auto, the one for sale has a stick so new flex plate will be needed 2 and wile your at it you might as well through a cam in it 2

#12 ·
ok sorry the torque converted is wieghted difftent not the flex plate itsself

#16 ·
mrclean said:
Are they the same? I have an 84 Dodge 1/2ton with a 318 in it now. I have a friend :)bio: ) that has a 79 AMC 360 that he is looking to get rid of. Will his AMC 360 bolt up the same as any other chrysler small block? Do I have to mod a bunch of stuff to make it work? thanks for any help

I don't know how I missed this post yesterday. I'm subscribing to this Forum now, so it won't ever happen again. :tonka:

It was already covered, but AMC is AMC, Dodge is Chrysler is not AMC. Chevy is not Buick. Cadillac is not Ford.

Anyway, tell your buddy with the 360 to call me if he wants to sell it. I've got quite a collection going. I thing I'm up to 7 AMC V8's now. :tonka:

#17 ·
PavementPounder said:
I don't know how I missed this post yesterday. I'm subscribing to this Forum now, so it won't ever happen again. :tonka:

It was already covered, but AMC is AMC, Dodge is Chrysler is not AMC. Chevy is not Buick. Cadillac is not Ford.

Anyway, tell your buddy with the 360 to call me if he wants to sell it. I've got quite a collection going. I thing I'm up to 7 AMC V8's now. :tonka:

my buddy is your buddy too. Your the one that brought back the Cherokee for him, right? Ring a bell now? :miff:

#18 ·
mrclean said:
my buddy is your buddy too. Your the one that brought back the Cherokee for him, right? Ring a bell now? :miff:

Yes, the last time I talked to him, it was about selling the truck off whole.:junk:

#21 ·
lol... I offered it to you.... but heard nothing.... and only cuz you were bitching about me pulling the drivetrain....

I still dont get why people complain when I am making, it bigger, stronger, faster....

a360 with Q/T and Dana 44's

or a 468 with Gear driven case and a dana60/70

seems the decision is easy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.