Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Prepper?

5K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  dougstephvoor 
#1 ·
I have had a few conversations lately with people who are "prepping" and or believe that preppers are all nuts.

I think every one should have some level of security and backup in every thing they do, especially if you are expected to look out for your family.

How far is to far?

With out making further additons to your current situation,

how many are in your family, and how long do you believe you could get along in an emergency situation,

and please state, if you live in the city suburb or country.

#10 ·
Holy crap, that ^^^ is extreme to me.

I live in a suburb and since today is Friday the fridge is low, we need to get groceries tomorrow like we do every saturday for the following week. :sonicjay:

#7 ·
20 years worth of food stored - Retarded.
A month or two worth of supplies - Not a bad plan.

I kinda realized something recently while grocery shopping that I never noticed before. They are ALWAYS stocking the shelves. It doesn't matter if its mid day Sunday or 2 am on a Wednesday night. They are stocking shelves. That being said if there was some sort of hiccup, fuel shortage, regional disaster, zombies, etc... how quickly do you think those shelves would empty even without the panic that would ensue?

#9 ·
When SHTF I am planning on Raping, Looting, Pillaging and Burning until I get bored or dead.

I kinda realized something recently while grocery shopping that I never noticed before. They are ALWAYS stocking the shelves. It doesn't matter if its mid day Sunday or 2 am on a Wednesday night. They are stocking shelves. That being said if there was some sort of hiccup, fuel shortage, regional disaster, zombies, etc... how quickly do you think those shelves would empty even without the panic that would ensue?
I ask people about that all the time. what would you do if there was no more food to buy. most people don't have a answer, let alone a good answer. We are 5 meals from anarchy. All those goofy "one love" retards out there will eat your bone marrow after a few missed meals.

#19 ·
When I first read this, I thought you meant you had beer to drink for a month, and three friends, who would be your beef cattle, for a month too. Food and drink for month without storing anything other than the beer. You friends have no idea that when you stare at them, you're thinking about what parts to eat first.

#20 ·
We need more ammo.
Actually you would be surprised how many plants you can eat out of your yard and gardens. I have planted my gardens with some plants that are completely edible that the neighbors wouldn't realize. I also have edible house plants. :naughty:

We need more ammo though :(

#22 ·
I plan on getting drunk and watching the world collapse around me. While doing so, I will be taking "pot-shots" at people with my rifle.

#35 ·
I've got a lot of bagged dried soup mixes, beans, peas, carrots, etc. I also have a 5000 Gallon cistern in my basement that collects rain water, and a deep well in the back yard, as well as a shallow well. I can pull from any water source by quarter turn valves through the filters and softeners, then the well pump. We have 5 cats and 3 dogs, plenty of protein. The field behind me has plenty of Burdock root, and grapes galore, strawberries, wild raspberries, and a few other edible berries. 2 apple trees in the front yard, a peach tree, and a plum tree in the side yard, and a bartlett pear tree in the back yard. The neighbors that are never home, have an herb garden, I've stolen fresh thyme, cilantro, ramps, onions, chives, parsley, and a few others. I have a fireplace, and stacked about 4 cords of wood. Gas grill in the back yard, and I have a 100 gallon tank, 2 60 gallon tanks, and 4 20 gallon tanks all full. Heat and with natural gas, so it may be available to use, as I have a 5000W generator, which will run my HDTV, boiler pump, well pump, and other necessities. I'm not even trying to be ready, this is just what is around me for whatever reason.

#40 ·
I didn't even put any though into the small game buffet I have in the back yard. We have Groundhogs, Squirrels, Red Foxes, Deer, Skunks, Raccoon, game birds, Rabbits, the golf course across the street has Frogs in all of their ponds, sunfishes, crayfish, and their are clams and others in the stream about 100 yards up the street. Fast running water, I've never seen it freeze, nice clean water, good drinking.

#44 ·
i am not prepped for disasters, i am just prepped because i like having stock. i got a quarter cow left in the freezer, venison, chicken, lots of canned and box food. i reload so i have lots of powder, primers, cases, ect.. i have enough beer for the weekend so if doomsday happens im going to shoot up the trailerpark down the road and get as much natty ice as i can.

#45 ·
When weather gets bad and the power goes out in Jan in the south, the grocery stores and gas stations are empty within about 2 days from what I have seen. Same thing with hurricanes coming in. I realize Michigan doesn't face the exact same scenario, but it is pretty scary when grown people act crazy because they are hungry and there is no food on the shelf and they don't have enough to get by for less than a week stored at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.