Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Fire!!!

6K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  Skooter_Built 
#1 ·
My Jeep just burst into flames. Bad night. Carry a fire extinguisher, I'm glad I do.

#6 ·
I can't post pics from my phone because "I'm a stupid". And I didn't take pics till the fire was out because "I was busy".
Guessing trans overflow or similar. Only wet around passenger header and not currently dripping but trans started to slip immediately before flames came shooting out. I was cruising at 55ish without my windshield so I couldn't hear any issues. Next thing I know, fireball.
Scary shit.

#20 ·
So here's a question.....what kind would you get? I'm not fond of the 29.95 Kidde Home Depot specials.
I have some old Halon's that I've carried and need to reorder them as they are expired also. ~$120.00 for a 1.25 lb unit
I also have a new 'wet water' rechargable extinguisher I'm planning on carrying but can't find any more canisters as the guy I purchased them from passed away and his business folded, he was a one man show. It's filled with a special fire extinguishing agent and then pressurized with nitrogen. I have 5 gallons of that material which is immune from freezing so it oesn't have the same drawback as just plain water. Anyone heard of this type?

jim-kb8ymf

#24 ·
Thanks all. Looks like The header melted some zip-ties that were routing my trans cooler lines. Once loose, the lines hit the header and poof. A lot of my engine wire harness is singed to the point that I don't trust it, so I'll be repairing a lot of that. My ATF is black and it wasn't 2 days ago, plus I hate my 3k stall converter so I'm going to pull the trans tonight and have my friend take a look at it. I'm thinking 2200 converter this time, I just hope it doesn't push me through the brakes when in 4:1 like the stock converter did. Too much Chevy power I guess:teehee:
Finishing dinner and then going to pull the trans out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.