6K views 64 replies 30 participants last post by  Ebs 
#1 ·
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243-305565--,00.html

Not sure if this is a repost or not.

Cliff notes:

ORV license - $26.25
Trail permit - $10.00
Total - $36.25

You need a ORV license to get a trail permit. Plus if you head to Silver Lake or the Mounds, you'll need the additional $10 park pass.

In other words, price increased to $46.25 for 2014 offroading.

#5 ·
Depending on how often you do go, the average price of entry becomes cheaper and cheaper.
With a passport on your plate it becomes even more cost effective for camping in the State Parks too!

Again, depends on usage.

Worth every penny in my opinion. :thumb:

#7 ·
I think separate ORV and Trail permits are stupid , but the price really isn't the issue to me,

a few years go I was buying state park seasonals at $25, plus $16.25 for the ORV's for 3-4 vehicles each year for silver lake.

We're only talking $5 more per year.

#16 ·
For Full size users (including side by sides) the following applies:
#1 - A vehicle with a SOS license plate, driving on ORV ROUTE exclusively does not need and ORV License or an ORV Trail permit. The one exception to that is Drummond Island, where some of the routes require 4x4 and thus do require the ORV License and Trail Permit.
#2 – Vehicles with a SOS license plate driving on ORV TRAIL or in any of the scramble areas (including Silver Lake Sand Dunes) requires both the ORV License and Trail Permit.
#3 – both the ORV License and Trail Permit need to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle just like the old ORV stickers.

Cut and paste from lpm606's report from yesterdays ORVAW meeting.

#42 · (Edited)
if you wanted to drive your ORV on the shoulder of the road without a SOS license, but not actually go on any routes or trails, I guess the ORV permit would allow this, but my understanding is any route, trail or scramble area woudl require the Trail permit, and they don't allow the purchase of ONLY the trail permit.

Oh I think I read that the Trail permit was not required for use in the UP, so if you only wheel in the UP maybe you only need the ORV permit, but I'm not sure.
Maybe that is why they did they 2 teared system, to allow the UP a cheaper sticker price?

EDIT: based on other posted info, I think I'm wrong about the UP, it says Forest Roads in UP don't need Trail permit,
does that mean Forest roads in the lower do?

#25 ·
Classics dump and bump and you won't see in budgetary reports, you will see things like administrative over site costs, operational cost ect. The use other state assets to facilitate said actions, money is moved, moved again and all of the sudden it's right where they want it to be. This in not new, and has been going on for years

#24 ·
And I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but the ORV fund is funded by more than just sales of ORV permits. I can't remember the exact break down but 14% of 2% of the total gas tax goes towards the ORV fund. That is by statute and is in the tune of millions of dollars each year.

#38 ·
I don't really like the price increase but at the same time not a big deal. The thing that pisses me off is it sounds like there will now be 3 stickers to get damaged, fall off, look ugly.

#46 ·
Easy kids... I was just being informative. I didnt want you all to get bent out of shape. I'm for the price increase. I ordered everything yesterday from the DNR and just wanted to get the word out.

The DNR FAQ page was a little confusing, so I called them. Previous posters are correct, Silver Lake, Drummond, and the Mounds will require the license, trail permit, and req passport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.