Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

anybody run longer shackles on a sammy?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  hman1991 
#1 ·
I ordered the 2" lift shackles from www.lowrangeoffroad.com, but now i've been looking at some of the things people are saying about the way the sammy will behave on the road and i'm getting a little nervous about it.

anybody here have any thoughts?

I wanted a small/easy/inexpensive lift, so i could put a little bigger tires on it for now.

#4 ·
yes, they are the 4" longer than stock. I will probably be driving it on the road, it won't be my daily driver, but it's not a dedicated trail rig either.

#6 ·
Why Not just do a spring over or Shackle Reversal or different Leaf Springs or hammer/Sawzall.

But yes what size of tires are you trying to fit? 4" longer than stock is quite long and it will probably drive kind of crappy, dig into the dirt, and make your springs angry with you.

#7 ·
i've heard worse things about the shackle reverse...and I didn't want to spring it over because of all the issues that go along with it, but I suppose there are issues with any kind of lift.

#9 ·
That much of a shackle lift is :bdr2: :bdr2: :bdr2: :bdr2: , plus its illegal if you drive on the road.

(4) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a person shall not operate a motor vehicle having lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or withlift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs in addition to those provided by the original manufacturer. Any body lift block shall be of single piece construction and shall not use more than a 3-inch spacer. Any suspensionlift block shall use an alignment pin between the axle and the spring, and shall be of single piece construction. Spring shackle replacements shall not exceed the original equipment manufacture length by more than 2 inches, and coil spring spacers are prohibited. All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited. All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications.

#12 ·
That much of a shackle lift is :bdr2: :bdr2: :bdr2: :bdr2: , plus its illegal if you drive on the road.

(4) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a person shall not operate a motor vehicle having lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or withlift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs in addition to those provided by the original manufacturer. Any body lift block shall be of single piece construction and shall not use more than a 3-inch spacer. Any suspensionlift block shall use an alignment pin between the axle and the spring, and shall be of single piece construction. Spring shackle replacements shall not exceed the original equipment manufacture length by more than 2 inches, and coil spring spacers are prohibited. All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited. All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications.
If we followed that law, nobody would have a lifted anything
fac·to·ry /ˈfæktəri, -tri/ [fak-tuh-ree, -tree]
–noun, plural -ries.
1. a building or group of buildings with facilities for the manufacture of goods.

My Garage is a factory, as long as you don't build the lift in your yard that law isn't worth the paper you wiped you ass with

#13 ·
i installed them tonight and took it for a drive down the road, the steering was fine and it didn't really act weird. I'm pretty happy with them, except it's obvious that they will catch some stuff on the trails...meh, its a start.

#15 ·
well, i had already ordered them before i had read the cons of them on other boards, so i figured i might as well put em on and see for myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.