Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1978 F250 Crew Cab; project "Eleanor"

58K views 329 replies 40 participants last post by  adamrz 
#1 · (Edited)
So where to begin?

6-8 years ago, my beloved Cadillac STS was totaled and I was left with a large check via the insurance company. What do I replace my beloved car with?

A quick look in the Michigan Auto and RV revealed to me my next "Cadillac", a Cowboy Cadillac to be exact. A 1978 F250 Crew Cab. A guy in the Door, MI area had a son who was a moto cross up start, and they had just bought a new bike for him, then lost a sponsor, so they were stuck with the bike bill.

So I bought their beloved hauler, complete with a 460CID, auto trans, 39.5 inch super swampers, and sexy faded red paint.

So fast forward a few years, my career is taking off and along comes the promotion. I get the job, ditch the girl, and move to NYC to bask in my professional glory (lmao). One hitch, they wont ship my truck. After all considerations, the best thing to do is sell it. And sell it I did.

Worst mistake ever. I have owned many, many vehicles, but this one was the only one that I ever regretted selling. Thusly, my desire for the this truck, this style, has earned it the moniker "Eleanor".

See less See more
#159 · (Edited)
update

No pictures yet, was busy getting stuff together and spending.

Picked up a dana 60 axle for the front to help with Eleanor's girth. The guy I brought from is a member of the GL4X4, @CHEVY71. He will have many more delicious Ford parts for sale posted here soon. It was a package deal of the D60 and a Sterling Rear axle. Petty stout set up.

Also made a trip to BigChevy's house and picked up Ian's, @Mihlfeldl2005 (spell check) 37" Military OZ tires and rims. Great guy to do business with. Once I figure how to rate sellers, I will be sure to give a thumbs up. BTW, my kid couldnt stop talking about the "buggy" in the pole barn.

Guess I cant avoid the elephant in the room any longer; post pictures and tackle the wiring harness set up.

#168 ·
Tech Question

I have found that painless wiring does the chassis wire kit, switches included, which in a truck this old is a necessity.

What I am not finding yet is a company that will do the engine management harness.
I could reuse the old one, but based on the condition of the donor, I think I would be better off simply buying a new harness.

Painless Wiring does not do this.
Sinister Diesel doesn't do this.
I cant get a call back from Pacific Performance Engineering.

Does anyone here know of a company that will make a new harness? Or should I simply just call Ford (tried that once too).

#170 ·
tech question answered

I have found that painless wiring does the chassis wire kit, switches included, which in a truck this old is a necessity.

What I am not finding yet is a company that will do the engine management harness.
I could reuse the old one, but based on the condition of the donor, I think I would be better off simply buying a new harness.

Painless Wiring does not do this.
Sinister Diesel doesn't do this.
I cant get a call back from Pacific Performance Engineering.

Does anyone here know of a company that will make a new harness? Or should I simply just call Ford (tried that once too).

Skip this. Found a good Ford Parts guy who showed me how to decipher the crap in this set up. Looks like I can still order new from the Dealership with the information he gave me.:rock:

#176 ·
Engine harness mocked in place under the hood. Debating on freeing up space under the hood and moving the dual battery set up down below, tucked along the frame in a battery box (two actually) using Optima batteries (so as to potentially mount on their side if need be).

Oh well.
For now time to start sorting the in-cab wiring from the donor and figure out how to make this work.

#177 ·
Did you get the seat belts from the king ranch?

FYI we have a 2008 kingranch on the light right now and the seats in it are a twin to yours minus the dvds

#179 ·
sure did. Front and rear.

The whole set up came with it:
steering wheel (minus the air bag)
seat belts front and rear
center counsel
front and rear door panels (with speakers).
of course the seats
two sets of wireless head phones
two remote controls

#182 ·
I am not sure on that one. As I understood the broncos, the 78-79 FSB ran the same frame as the f150. Having said that, the f250-350 MAY be wider. If you get a measurement, I can measure as well.

Or when you come by to check out the Mickeys, we could check then. Your call.

Fridge is freshly stocked with beer. Just pardon my mess, garage is getting packed with this project and a friends jeep project stuff.

#183 ·
Hello, just got done reading your thread. Nice project!!

Regarding those KR seats...I tried a set in a 73 reg cab and then tried them in my 72 CC.

I would seriously think about sinking the seats into the floor a bit. I have leather buckets from an AUDI TSX in my 73 reg cab and even though I chopped off as much of the brackets as possible and made my own brackets it is still slightly uncomfortable to drive. It's not a head height problem but more of a "have top hold your foot up off the gas pedal". It's a minor inconvenience and your gonna love not sliding toward the door on right hand turns. The height of the seat gives kinda of a odd angle toward the pedals.

My issue with the rear seat is that in my 72 (which may be different) you pretty much have to climb over the seat to get in back. Hopefully your cab is a bit longer than the earlier one's.

Anyway enjoyed the build...carry on!

#184 ·
Plan on pulling the OEM seats out this week to get a measurement in difference to see where I will be in regards to driver position. Most of the research has shown me that I will need to modify the KR brackets 1.25 inches to sit close to factory seats.
We shall see. I will be sharing this process for sure, as well as modifying the rear seats to function, fit, and be heated.
The wiring harness...thats another FUBR story. Good lord...

Pictures to come.

#185 ·
Fwiw, I put CC ram seats in my 1983. I used 2"x3" backer plates made of 1/4 steel on the bottom of the cab and used riser washers on my inside to adjust the height 1-2". Then mounded the seats to the floor crossmember. That was the anchor mount directly to the floor. I have black carpet and black seat bases with black bolts and washers, but I will see if I can get a picture posted. Might give you some ideas.

#187 ·
Classic case of "i forgot" lol. I will try to remember to do it tomorrow. It's pretty straight forward, I used 5/8 bolts, had backer plates cut from 1/4" steel and then 5/8 holes "punched" in them (way easier letting a shop do this than drilling them all. Then I used stainless 1" tall 5/8 washers to raise my seat to accommodate the seat tread height difference. This way I didn't have a bunch of flat washers stacked up to make an inch or 1.5". Thanks for the reminder, hopefully I will get them tomorrow for you.

#193 ·
trudging along

so its been a while since I have posted on Eleanor. No, I have not given up the ghost on my build, simply way busy at work and also with my consulting business, plus several little life changes such as:
sold my 1979 Bronco
sold my 1963 f100
was working on some jeep axles
drinking beers:beerbang::beerbang:
oh, and the New Call of Duty came out
plus it snows in Michigan...a lot. And the woman in my life likes to ski.

I have been sourcing and tracing the internal wiring harness all this winter, when I have the time and my nipples don't try and fall off from the extreme temperatures.

I am still looking for a shop diagram/schematic for the donor, boy that would make life better. But in the interim, I am doing it one block at a time off the fuse block. Yea me!!! :bdr2:

Good news, half way there.
Bad news, its ****in cold.

Pictures to come. and much work to do. Hoping for this spring for it to be running under its own power.

#195 ·
progress...

ish...
No, its not running yet...
Things to order/procure
1. tanks
2. lines
3. oil pan
4. wiring harness sorted (still).

But first...

Cards and Beer...

Playing some pool (and getting handsy)...

Picked up a KSG and another AR...AND then bacon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.