Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

what 37 or 38" tires?

4K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Haggar 
#1 ·
Silverlake and bundyhill wheeling. What's good?

#4 ·
km2 hands down, and if it doesn’t touch pavement get the krawler

The km2s act like paddles in the sand dig just the right amount without burying themselves. As for trails/parks the km2s do “good” in the loose gravel on top of hard pack, probably due to the large tread blocks. But softer soils that the tire can actually sink into a bit they work flawlessly. Probably don’t need to tell you because I’m sure you already know but these tires were born in the rocks and that is where they shine. They have open tread blocks across the entire face unlike the mtr, so they catch on the rock face. As for mud I try to stay away from it so I can’t give you an opinion on that. I can tell you though, that I will be buying these again.

If you are curious about quality, my 35x12.5x15" km2s on aluminum beadlocks balanced out with 5.5oz on the worst tire and 3.5oz on the best, on the first try. Pretty damn good for a tire of that size.

#6 ·
KM2's for me too. I'm on my second set. The first were 35's and the new ones are 365-75-16 so like almost a 38x14. Had no issues at Twisted. Done some wheeling at a local property with hill climbs and notches, creeks ect and did awesome until I got into super deep mud that was stopping guys with boggers too.

#8 ·
trailer queen or driven on the roads?

Either way, I will NOT be suggesting KM2s

#17 ·
I would guess super swampers.:fish::finger:

#24 ·
oh, yeah, gotta have stickies for silver lake wheeling. They are awesome in the snow too.

I would go 39.5" iroks, or well grooved 38.5 SXs.

If you see enough rocks to warrant them, stickies are nice. They will add nothing in sand, and most dirt situations, and will hurt you bad in the snow. So you need to examine what you are doing.

In a situation like driving in loose, off camber Michigan forest type trails, I'd take a grooved SX anyday over a krawler, or Maxxis CC (treps are good, though).

#25 ·
oh, yeah, gotta have stickies for silver lake wheeling. They are awesome in the snow too.

I would go 39.5" iroks, or well grooved 38.5 SXs.

If you see enough rocks to warrant them, stickies are nice. They will add nothing in sand, and most dirt situations, and will hurt you bad in the snow. So you need to examine what you are doing.
And you've driven BFG stickies in the sand how many times???

#34 ·
Well I've had Cooper ats, BFG at, and BFG mt. I'm also locked in the rear running 32's. But my zero experience tells me TSL bias is the hands down winner. :sonicjay:

#37 ·
I haven't ran anything but dueler ats and km2s I just have seen those tires perform and have heard people talk good about them. For silver lake and bundy hill which doesn't have much rock I would rungrooved sx's which id love to have or iroks as stated more then once! You can even groove the iroks if your feeling crazy. Goodluck:thumb:

#40 · (Edited)
off road the swapmers are hard to beat. i have run 33" tsl bias, 37" ssr's, and now 42" iroks. off road the iroks are nice. on the pavement the ssr's were great, and still pretty good off road.

i also ran a set of 35" old style mtr's. they pretty much blew in most any condition.

if i was looking at a dual purpose tire street & trail it would be ssr's

#43 ·
wow crap ton of great info. I have yet to do any snow wheeling as it seems my jeep is always being torn down to upgrade stuff. However I'd love to one of these days!!!

I have never been outside of MI for wheeling..... I know that any tire I purchase will be a great step forward from the Mud Kings I already have.

Now my rim is only 8" wide... I need to be able to run the tires on them for the time being untill I can buy some beadlock rims, or make my own.

whats the advantage of going radial vs bias when these are just for off-road use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.