Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Towing with a 1999 Cherokee (need help asap)

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  curbdog17 
#1 ·
Here the skinny, I have a 1999 Xj 4 door w/ 75,001 miles, 4.0, auto trans, 242 tcase and 3.55 axle ratio with a tru trac in the rear, Magnaflow catback exhaust, Edelbrock header. I just got a 2004 Fleetwood Rt-11 wet weight is ie (GVWR) 3500 lbs and dry hitch weight is 262 + lbs and wet weight some where around 1100 lbs (with quad on for platform)

So I brought home the pop-up this weekend, I noticed that the jeep was draging ass low and my jeep drove like shit

So can I safely haul the pop on trips to UP Michigan with out putting my family in danger? So I sell the pop or the Jeep or sell both a say screw it on camping?

Side note; I think my hitch is a class 3 hitch and yes I know I should used a brake controller.

I'm concerned with danger to family, burning up trans, trashing a rear end, etc

#4 ·
its pushing it, but i dont think its dangerous, if you set it up right.
ebc or black magic brake pads and new rotors, adjust and clean rears brakes properly.
air bags or timbrens for the rear weight. a weight distribution hitch.
a gear swap might help in the power department too!(3.73 or 4.10)
always tow with the overdrive locked out.
cherokee tires near stock size.
good brakes on the trailer.
a good brake controler on the jeep.
trans cooler.

the aw4 will last fine if you can keep it cool, and not search for gears.
assuming its a 8.25 rear you should be fine. if its a d35 swap it out.

#9 ·
We brought the Fleetwood home on Saturday ( heading north on the Dixie Hwy)
windy as shit and I was have a very hard time keep my jeep and trailer at 50 mph, Gas milage drop off almost 1/8 tank to get back.. Last time I made that same trip , I cost me 1/8 round trip Ie 25 mile one way, so 50 mile round trip!

I have royal purple in the Axles, trans, t-case, power steering and Quaker State 10W-30 with K&N oil filter, The only thing its missing so far this year is new plugs, wire cap...

would it be worth the extra BS to swap out my 3.55 to 4:10, 4:56 ratio? If I was to re gear to 4:10 or 4:56 and move to 245/75/16 (tire size) would I be able to pull in over drive knowing the over all axle ratio is deeper and drive at 65 mph while towing in over drive?

Lesson learn I know better, just because you ccan do something doesn't mean that it safe
Just because you can put 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lbs bag, does mean that the bag willn't rip, it means that you may have shit on your hands.

The last thing I want to do is hurt someone, burn up a engine smoke a trans, or get stuck on the side of a highway, that my fear because my brother broke down outside of Midland on south bound 10 (with his buddy) Nov 19, 1994 and they were hit and killed,

I'll post pictures after dropping kid at school 1

#12 ·
Too bad you couldn't work it out, we have a similar setup (2007 Starcraft RT-13 and a 2004 LJ) that works really well for us. We don't get anywhere fast, but electric brakes, weight distributing hitch and a trans cooler (I have the much less stellar 42RLE trans) has been getting it done for us for abnout six years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.