Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Toyota truggy (updated fuel injection)

74K views 430 replies 80 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
350 swap on page 2-8
Spring swap - cross over steering - axle armor page 9
1 Ton swap- Dana 60s- Starts on page 10

This is what i started out with minus the lights.:bdr2: Got it for my first vehicel when i was 15. Bone stock except Front and rear bumper,rollbar and rinio liner.85 toy,22re,4x4,31 street tires, auto trans, 141,000 miles

Slowley started doing things on a small buget. Made a cold air intake($25), 2in shackle lift(home made-$20 for steal and bolts),cut off the exhaust and put on a 40 series flow master with no cat. Finally got enough money to buy my cousins 33 pro comps ($500) and sold the 31's for $175.

Cant find any better pictures with the 33's. That was a fun day 75 foot long jump. Landed where the dark spot is on the right of the picture. The 33's rubbed so i bought a 3in body lift.Started building engine slowley.Truck was way to slow. Bough a cam Best engine mod. Later bought a header for $20 and redid the exhaust. Got a real job so i started having a little more money so i bought a real lift. Bought a 3.5 northwest offroad lift. Now i had a total of about 8in of lift. Really big for the 33's. Finnaly convinced my friends dad to sell me the 38 ground hawgs. Way under powered with the 38's. sold the 33's to my other cousin for 400. Drove like that for the longest time.

Aired down to much and poped the bead on the rear.

To long went by with out doing any thing to it so now things got serious. Bought a skyjacker 7in soft ride system all Springs front and rear. That put me up to total of 12in of lift. 7in springs, 2in shackles, 3in body. Did not like the 38's for a daily driver because that were not very well balanced and had bad rode manners, so i started looking for new tires. My neabior ended up coming over day and said he had some tires i might what so i went and checked them out and there were exictley what i whatted. 37x12.5x17 ssr super swampers. paid $700 for almost brand new tires. Bought some 17x9 pro comp 1079s to put them on. Also just recently made beadlock rims(fake) Cut them out at school on the pasma cut and powercoated them at school to. Paid a total of $30 for them. steal about 280 new

With the new tires i finally broke down a bought gears. 5.29's. While it was out we figured way not and welded the front diff. Already had a detriot locker for the rear. Made it alot more drivable with the lower gears.
Now it was time for a new paint job. Finally one day broke down and started doing body work. Got all the body work done and sprayed up at my school in the paint bougf. All ppg paint. True blue, moly orande and silver(dont remember the name).Did almost all the body work my self. 3 differnt friends sprayed the paint. Ended up being my senior project.

This is what it currently looks like. This is what i ended up with 3 years later and lots of money. Right now in the works is about a 400 HORSEPOWER 350(357 really). That is the next big project. Slowly being built money comes in and back out into the motor. Next step is heads. PROJECT: MORE POWER
I'll put the list of every thing ive done on another time because ive been typing this forever. Also put on some more wheelin pictures. Any questions on how i did somthing just ask, ill try to help. Tell me what to think.:thumb:

See less See more
#31 ·
Thanks. Its almost ready to start up. I just need to put oil in it and then prime the whole motor for oil. Then i have to set the roller rockers, and get the disturbutor set up right. And a few more little things.
Dont know if i have the right flex plate though cuz when i have the starter on it looks like it wont even reach the flex plate to turn the motor over. I dont know, see what happens.
Getting close though to starting it up.

#32 ·
Very tight fit. Got it finally mounted were i want it. To change the front belt on the motor i have to pull out the raditor to change it. To change my plugs and wires i have to take the headers off. To take the driver side header off i have to unbolt the motor mount and lift up the motor to get the header out.
And it does not fit under the hood. The spin nob that holds the filter on hits the hood support.
Alot of little stupid things like that but its going to be sweet. Cant wait to drive it.

#34 ·
Going to try and build them first. Longfeilds and shafts in the front. Disk brakes, chromly shafts, hardened ring and pinion out back. Fully trussing them both.
Longfeilds are just as strong as a 35 spline d60. Try that set up and see what happens.
If i end up building the motor more later ill probley have to go bigger but they should hold up after building them.

Found out that i dont have to pull the motor to do the header, plugs and wires. Have to set the header in first then put the plugs in and then the wires on, then bolt the header on. Lots of fun.

Also finaly got the adapter to bolt to the transfercase. Got the shifter forks cut down enough to clear the plate.

#35 ·
I broke my shit today.. i blame you ! You didnt show up.. so i had to wheel with a jeep.. jeeps get stuck i had t pull one out.. broke my shit pulling a jeep out.. AGAIN !!!! See if you were there i wouldnt have had to pull my wheeling buddy out and i'd be good still :sonicjay:

#36 ·
Got more of my stuff yesterday.
Got my-

b&m megashifter
heat sleaves for my plug wires
lokar braided throttle cable
10in electric fan
Flexlite adjustable fan control

Going to try and get it all together today. Still have to go have my trans done but cant get any one to take me. Sucks not having somthing to drive. Once the trans is done i can probly get it done pretty quick.

#38 ·
American Muscle in a foreign truck.lol. Only time I like a foriegn truck is with american powerd.lol. Nice looking truck for a small budget and only three years. That things gonna be pretty dang fast with that motor. That truck pry only ways like 3700 pounds or so probably.

#40 ·
Went and dropped my trans off today to have the output shaft put in. Also got all the stuff i just ordered from summit.
Bigger sfi flex plate- other one was to small
4ft 3in exhaust
3in U bend
2x 2 1/2in U bends
3in inlet, dual 2 1/2 outlet 40's flowmaster + free t-shirt
Push button for starter

Got my oil pressure and water temp gauges mounted and wired. Mounted the shifter. Filled the power steering fluid, started filling the anti freeze but ran out. Drained the gas tank(cheap out, 94 going in). Sucks draining a full tank with out enough gas cans, started using milk jugs. Swapped flex plates. Hooked strobes back up. Put grill on. Bolted axle in. Ran trans cooler lines. Mounted fan and controler. Few more little things.

Going to go pick up the trans before work tomorrow. Put it in when i get home from work.

#47 ·
No it dont run yet. I been working more then normally and then i havnt had power the last two days, so i havnt got any thing done since thursday.

Going to pick up the trans tomorrow. Input shaft was bad. So had to also have that replaced. He said it was going to be about 200 for parts and labor when i talked to him today. Thats for swapping out output shafts, and for a new input shaft and install.

Should get the trans in tomorrow and every thing going. Should be running tomorrow night, And driving tomorrow night hopfully. Thats my goal.

#48 ·
Alright, i hate my truck now. Nothing is going my way. Should have been done a long time ago.

I spent a ton of time and effort building motor mounts to go from the ones that downey sent me. Ended up cutting up the downey mounts. Got the motor in just right and every thing were i wanted it. Took about 3 full sun up till sun down days to make ever thing and get it in. About 3 or 4 days later i get the other half of the motor mount in the mail that i did not know even existed. Very mad but was still going to use the mounts i made. Went to put the trans in last night and it hits the floor boards of my truck. So i got out the hammer and took a few swings. Still didnt fit so i called it a night. Went out today to put it and in and theres now way it was going to fit. Every thing sat way to high.

So now i had to put in the mounts that came late. Go to bolt those in and now the motor is not level and sit's way to far forward, cuz i cut the main mounts to fit the mounts i made.
So now i have to order new mounts. Nothing is going my way. If the mounts would have came at the same time my truck would have been on the road weeks ago cuz none of this would have happened.

On a good note i think that my stock length drive shafts will work with every thing. Also my mom fells bad for me so she said that she would pay for half of the cost of the motor mounts.

So thats the update. Just have to order the mounts and when there here it should be done that day or the next. Just have to figure how to set up my new distrubator. Doesnt really say how how in the instrutions.

#51 ·
sry to hear that dude. I know how you feel... things didn't go my way when i did my mopar 360 swap in my yj. Just take a step back, look it over, think about it, than get back at it and finish rite. Do it rite the first time :thumb:

you've done a great job so far !!

#53 ·
Thanks. Thats what im doing now, sitting back. Cant do much any way right now.

Just ordered my mounts. $120 also orderd another 2 1/2in exhaust U bend for after the muffler. $150 after handling.

Just added up all my orders from just summit and it came to $2644.07

Afraid to go add up all the others.

What ever, did it the way i want the first time around(almost, never enough hp:tonka: ).

Now im mad, just remembered what i forgot to order. Needed to order 2 1/2 collecter's, cuz i have 2 1/4 now. What ever, they'll work.

And i found some pictures of the motor when i first got it. Just have to upload them and ill put it up. Thats just say its came a long way.:tonka:

#54 ·
I'm sure everyone will agree when i say this.... never add up the $$$$ you have spent on your truck/jeep... it'll drive you crazy!

Yea you never can get enough HP. Problem is when you build more power and torque, you start to break things. So than it becomes more expensive to fix the weak links. But i love it

#55 ·
O so true. Already have the axles all planned out, thats the next big project.
Front-Longfeilds and shafts, high pinion 5.29's, e-z locker, fully trussed end to end.
Rear- chromley shafts, disks brakes, Fully trussed, toyota trd locker 3rd member 5.29s.
Then stronger drive shafts and joints.
Always some thing more.

What advanced auto do you work at in Livonia. Friend of mine lives out there not to far from the westland mall. Might have to come stop by there when i have it up and going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.