Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

car wash scratched my wifes new Grand cherokee pretty bad

5K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  Easy_E 
#1 ·
The wife took the grand cherokee through the local car wash today in howell and they scratched the crap out of her car. There must be 300+ scratches on the hood, doors, fenders....looks bad. Most look like they can be taken out by a good detailer, but some are worse. I contacted the car wash right after it happened and spoke to the owner. He had me go to a local detailer and have him look at it. The detailer said that it was bad and gave the owner a call back. He said I would be hearing from the owner.

The jeep is 4 weeks old, and looks terrible. My father in law runs a proffesional detailing shop and he said that the owner should take care of this for us. He said that this happens every once in a while when the local car wash doesnt wash there brushes or clean the equipment enough. If this owner comes back and doesnt want or think he should take care of this what options should I take? I dont want to file a claim on insurance and make my rates go up for there issue.

#9 ·
That's why I never go to a car wash where anything makes contact with the vehicle.

Knew a guy who ran one - it happens more than you think (antennas coming off and getting stuck in brushes is not uncommon).

#15 ·
If this owner does make this situation right then I will be more then willing to let everyone know what car washes he owns (several). I will give this guy the benifit of the doubt that this was a one time thing and plans to make it right. Like I said I have been to this was 100+ times and never had an issue before today.

#23 ·
I live on a dirt road and have probably gotten 150+ car washes from the same location and never had an issue. In the future we dont plan to go to the car wash we will do by hand.
If this owner does make this situation right then I will be more then willing to let everyone know what car washes he owns (several). I will give this guy the benifit of the doubt that this was a one time thing and plans to make it right. Like I said I have been to this was 100+ times and never had an issue before today.
Im hoping the guy is a stand up person and plans to take care of this. Its a 5 week old jeep with less then 1800 miles on it. Its not like there are one or two scratchs.....there are probably 100 scratchs on the hood alone.
I no longer trust the accuracy of your counting.
x2

:sonicjay:

#34 ·
He said 100 scratches on the hood alone where prior when he said 300 scratches he said hood, door, and fenders.

#29 ·
This thread made me realize that I bought my Fukkus in the beginning of May and have yet to wash it. Please let us know which car wash did the damage so that I can take my car there on the 1 year anniversary.

#30 ·
The owner called me back today and he just cant understand how his car wash would do this and he said the scratches dont seem consistent to what would make sense to him. He said that his insurance company will not make a claim to him on this. He said that I need to contact my insurance and make a claim and he will think about trying to work with me on the deductible. Tomorrow Im going to CBR body shop in howell to have them look at my jeep and put an estimate together. Im going to get several estimates for him. So far im unimpressed with how he is handling this. He is making me do all of the work that his crappy car wash destroyed the paint on our new grand cherokee.

Any suggestions? Im worried that if I make a claim that this claim will show up on the carfax if I ever do sell the jeep.

#36 ·
If you took pictures of the incident and get a lot of written estimates and paperwork etc. you can take him to court, and you have a very good case considering its a brand new vehicle, how the hell else would the damage have gotten there? His companys equipment damaged your vehicle he has liability insurance for such instances. No need for your insurance to pay instead of his.

#40 · (Edited)
Usually not liable for aftermarket parts. At least the ones I have been to don't cover aftermarket parts. Never seen anything about not covering damage to factory parts.

My truck is scratched enough that I don't care if the machine does it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.