Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

"Black Foot" CJ-7

8K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  0llllll0 
#1 ·
I bought this Jeep back in 08 at a Garage sale of all places ! My intent was to clean it up paint it up, fix the trans leak and sell it ! Well 4 years latter here’s what I have, and I couldn’t think of selling it now…

I did most of this CJ myself with help from friends and the cooperation and help from my Wife. Up to this point, I’ve never had a shop do any work for me, but this time I have to Thank Jared and his Guy’s at Unlimited Offroad Centers, in Fenton, who took care of the Dana 44 axles and steering, Thanks Guy’s!

I’m going to follow Itchy’s lead and skip writing a novel, so here are some details and a bunch of pic’s (mostly in build order)…

Spec’s
2012 Jeep CJ-7

Engine / Trans / T-Case:
Nuttered 258, MC2100 Carb, HEI, Dual outlet headers, Custom exhaust (dual into 1), Amc TH400, Dana 20 from FSJ, Modified JB Fab Twin Stick (For Jeepster)

Axles:
Front Axle = Narrowed Dana 44 from 79 Wagoneer, 4:88 Detroit, 79 Ford Outers, Warn Premium Lock outs
Rear Axle = Dana 44 from 86 CJ-7, TSM Disk brakes, 4:88 full Spool, Solid Cover

Suspension:
Front 5” YJ Springs (BDS # 004500), Crabtree Tool & Die front Spring conversion hangers, Stock YJ shackles, Dynatrac U-bolt flip kit, Doetsch Shocks, JKS SBD’s,

Rear 5” YJ Springs (BDS # 004500), Custom spring hanger with large YJ bushing, Custom U-bolt Flip (from Chevy Truck), Doetsch shocks

Steering:
Custom, 1 Ton TRE’s DOM Tube from Unlimited Offroad, Parts Mike flat index-able pitman arm, New stock Gearbox, M.O.R.E Gearbox brace.

Body:
Patched up Factory CJ-7 Steel Tub, Modified C&C Fab. Tube Fenders with factory inner wheel wells, Modified C&C Fab. Rear Tube Flares, Modified Poison Spyder Corners and Rockers. 1” Daystar Poly body mounts.

Bumpers:
Nates 4x4, Front: Model 2 with D-Ring tabs, 2” receiver, Brush Guard and Light Tabs mounted to frame with Smitty Built YJ / TJ to CJ conversion brackets. Rear: Jerry Can Swing out Tire carrier, D-Ring tabs, 2” receiver, HiLift & CB antenna mounting tabs.

Interior:
Aftermarket Seats (Brand ?), Frt. Dr. & Pass Recline and Flip, Rear flip & Fold, Igloo Center console, Radio Shack CB, YJ Family Roll Bar tied to frame rear, Custom Frt 3pt. Seat Belts mounted to Roll Bar, Rear TJ Seat Belts, Functioning Dome lights, Dual Bluetooth Stereo, A/C = Oscillating fan, 4 – 12v outlets: 2 key on, 2 constant 12v.

See less See more
#17 ·
Thanks Itchy ! I see your 5er is look'n good too! Did you notice the seats ? They are the ones I got from you ! The rear flip set up is from a Chevy pick-up from the junk yard, and the front's are from Dynatrac for a Wagoneer

http://www.dynatrac.com/products/parts/high-clearance-uboltkits.html

I just bought them but I'm sure someone with your mad skill's could fab them up easily.

#21 ·
also, do you find your gearing to be high enough with the tire size you have, or do you think you could use higher/lower gearing? My gearing is still stock but i'm planning on changin eventually. probably wont run more than 33's on mine though so I think 4:88 will be too high for me. any ideas or advice?

#22 ·
The gearing is low,( numerically higher) it might go 50 mph tops on the expressway... I plan on running the 36's for a while but I will most likely be running taller tires in the future. If you are going to run 33's and you want to drive it on the freeway, I would say 3:73 or 4:11 would be a the way to go.

#24 ·
Thanks !

It worked out well on Drummond this past weekend, with the exception of it not running that good at a slow crawl. I played with the timing and idle air mixture and it helped some, but it was still not happy running slow on the trails. As soon as it comes off idle it is fine. On the pavement it idles and runs great. I'm going to check the float and ??? Anyone with MC 2100 experince please feel free to chime in as I think its a carb issue.

#25 · (Edited)
I pulled the jets and found that it had #50 jets, I read that 47's were a good match for the 258 so I ordered up some from Allstate Carburetor in NY, they have every jet for a 2100 in stock. This thing runs incredible now! and will idle down the trail without issue...

I'm ready for Snofari !!!!

#31 ·
I've seen it in person, and it's every bit as great as it looks.

What did you basecoat the axles with? When I did my D44 I used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (like POR 15, but fewer isocyantes to kill you) and topcoated with Rustoleum Hammered.

#33 ·
Thanks Duffman and everyone!

For the axles, I just used Rust-oleum Rusty metal primer for the basecoat and then top coated with high gloss Rust-oleum. Both were applied thick with a brush. This way when they get messed up I can re-coat them easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.