Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

'99 Tahoe suspension too soft...

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CreativeFab 
#1 ·
I know alot about Jeeps but little about Chevy Tahoe suspensions. I want to make the ride firmer, so it doesn't wobble so much. it's way to soft, like a big wet springy sponge. I want to improve it's general ride handling and decrease the sway both while towing and not.

here's what I've thought of but what the best choice :confused:

1. Add a leafs - but they are 1.5" to 2" tall and I'd rather not lift it

2. Air bag kit for towing = these are pricey...

3. New shocks, maybe some pricey ranchos with the firmness dial on them - also pricey and may not get to the root of the problem.

4. butcher a stock pack of Tahoe leafs and and add a leaf or 2.

Any thoughts? Any brands better than others for chevy trucks?

#7 ·
Did you do anything to address the front or did the add a leaf just even it out or give it a very mild lift in the rear.

$10 says its your tires. If they are P tires (passenger car) they will ride sloppy especially when you try to tow or haul something. Most SUVs and some light pickups come with P tires cause they are cheaper and ride softer for all the vag that drives trucks these days.

Besides proper LT (light truck) tires, if your tahoe needs anything more than new shocks then theres probably something wrong with it. It shouldnt ride that sloppy.
My tires are getting old and will probably need to be replaced after this next winter but they are LT tires. I made sure of that when I bought the last set but like a said, they are getting pretty tired though... The LT tires helped at the time though. Definitely a good thing to swap out for those that haven't.

I don't think there is anything wrong per say with the suspension for it's age and usage. It's a '99 with a 140K miles on it. I've always thought it was too soft but it's been regulated to wife use for the past 3 years and it didn't bother her. Now it's going to be my DD again and it's drives me nuts. The shocks may be past their prime to which would amplify the situation...

#6 ·
$10 says its your tires. If they are P tires (passenger car) they will ride sloppy especially when you try to tow or haul something. Most SUVs and some light pickups come with P tires cause they are cheaper and ride softer for all the vag that drives trucks these days.

Besides proper LT (light truck) tires, if your tahoe needs anything more than new shocks then theres probably something wrong with it. It shouldnt ride that sloppy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.