Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Help me decide what to do to my neighbors yard.

27K views 211 replies 77 participants last post by  dreezy 
#1 · (Edited)
My neighbor moved out, house is for sale. Hasn't mowed the grass in a month. My sub is full of perfect lawns except for this one. I've called him three times and he's said "the lawn service will be out there asap!"

well, how should I handle it? I'm thinking about mowing a pretty design into the yard. Ideas?

edit: the photo doesn't do it justice, it's knee high, especially where my sprinklers hit.

Attachments

See less See more
#47 ·
If you want to salt it I've got 80 gallons or so of chloride I drained from tractor tires. Yours for free (or anyone who wants to come pick it up) LOL
Really tall especially where your sprinklers hit it? Well.....turn off your sprinklers :poke:

In all seriousness though I'd call the twp.

#50 ·
I would just mow it to be the better man. Then I would run over a tool I loaned my douchbag neighbor and he never returned, ruining my tire in the process.

Glad my neighbors are all cool and mow, and we dont live where people tell you how to keep your lawn.

#53 ·
When did my yard stop being mine to do with as I want, and become something that I have to maintain to my neighbors standard?

I want to move out to the country where I can do what I want.

#60 · (Edited)
Here is a better photo:

To those telling me to clean up their yard, it would literally take me hours upon hours. There are tons of sticks from the elm trees in their front yard that would destroy my mower blades, and there would be so much dead grass that I would be worried it would kill the yard. That yard is also .40/acre, so it's not like I can grab a push mower and take five minutes.... The main reason why I will not cut it, is I will be trapped into doingso until it sells. If the owner finds out I cut the lawn once, why wouldn't he think I wouldn't cut it again? That would remove all reason for him to take care of his own yard.

If you live in a subdivision, you should take care of your lawn. Even though you technically own it, it is your job to take care of it and make it look better. I looked through my township laws, and any grass over 8" is illegal. The grass is 15-20" tall, so I will be contacting the township today. They will cut it, and simply tack that bill unto the taxes. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Attachments

#69 ·
In the tone of Fatty Matty, rape the owner.

If the owner is not available, rape the lawn itself.

Once the lawn has been cut by township or other, perhaps consider mowing a cawk into the lawn once debris has been removed.

#75 ·
Give me $20 and I'll come cut it!

This time of year the grass is really growing. The rain we have been receiving is incredible. There are many houses in my neighborhood that the grass is probably close to 12"-16" tall. I don't mind it that much. There are no rules in my neighborhood, so people can let their jungle grow as they please. As long as their grass is all grass and no little trees starting to pop up everywhere, then it's somewhat better.

If it were me, I would probably cut it myself. Maybe you can send your own bill to the realtor and get reimbursed for your gas and time. Simply tell him that not only are you keeping the yard in line with your SUB rules, but you are keeping the house presentable for potential home buyers. I think he would appreciate that, or at least hope he would.

#86 ·
It seems you already looked up the township ordinance which would have been my first suggestion, though I do like the idea of contacting the Realtor as well since they may be more motivated to get somebody out there right away whereas the township probably has to wait at least a week to 10 days after notifying the owner.

I had a similar situation across the street from me recently - the old woman died in February and her caretaker moved out right away. The son comes by once a week to slowly clean out the house and take out some garbage but nobody has cut the lawn all year long. It wasn't too bad until a couple of weeks ago when it seemed to grow about 2' overnight. I finally called the city on Wednesday last week and they showed up to look at it about an hour later. The code enforcement officer said it looked like a wheat field and was surprised nobody had called them yet. They posted their notice (didn't have a telephone number for the son) but would have to wait 7 days before they could send their own crew. Luckily the son must have seen it because Saturday afternoon there was finally a crew in there giving it a shitty cutting, but it's definitely better than it was.

If all else fails, this! :sonicjay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.