Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Help me decide what to do to my neighbors yard.

27K views 211 replies 77 participants last post by  dreezy 
#1 · (Edited)
My neighbor moved out, house is for sale. Hasn't mowed the grass in a month. My sub is full of perfect lawns except for this one. I've called him three times and he's said "the lawn service will be out there asap!"

well, how should I handle it? I'm thinking about mowing a pretty design into the yard. Ideas?

edit: the photo doesn't do it justice, it's knee high, especially where my sprinklers hit.

Attachments

See less See more
#21 ·
Call me American, but I don't understand why people feel they can tell someone how to manage their property. If it wa posing a direct safety risk I would understand. I keep my lawn and property in neat order, but I feel if you pay the bills do as you wish. My neighbor owns the property at the en of my driveway I have an easement for the last few feet of driveway. He mows his lawn but not the little lot in front of my house. It bothers me to the point I asked and got permission to mow it. My opinion is pony up buy it, get permission to maintain it, or deal with it.

#30 ·
I would first go to the city/township. If they won't do anything, maybe you could talk to your neighbors and do a work day and mow it yourselves. Why would you want to mess it up just to make a point to someone who has already moved out? What's more important, making a statement or keeping your neighborhood nice?

If a potential buyer finds out you are messing with the lawn, do you really think they would want to move in next to you?

FWIW, I had a similar problem last summer. My elderly neighbor had moved into a retirement home. His lawn did not get mowed for the first part of the season. The neighbor on the other side and I talked about mowing it. The problem was that my neighbor's son (who is retired) lives right around the corner from us. I figured why should I mow it when I have to go to work everyday and he's just sitting home? Finally his wife got disgusted and started mowing it herself. :sonicjay:

#33 ·
Call the city/township/hoa. The guy will come out, tell him to cut it, or a crew will show up and do it for him and send a bill.

Fuck his "checks in the mail" response.

It sounds like you tried to take care of it like a neighbor and it fell on deaf ears.

And also fuck the "this is my house and I'll do as I please attitude" as well. Even the stupid little hillfuck town I grew up in had blight ordinances...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.