Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

any tips for a new welder?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  redram98 
#1 ·
I just picked up my christmas gift this week, a miller 211 welder. problem is I have no experience welding... so I'm not really sure where to start. any tips?

#2 ·
just get some scrap steel and start practicing... try closer, try a little farther see how the bead is different. nothing really to do but practice. I am no pro, but thats how i learned.

GOOD LUCK!!!

#3 ·
get some scrap and start practicing...set it up in different angles, lay under it and weld, etc...remember, not everything you need to weld is going to be sitting flat and horizontal on a bench, though you should practice that way until you gut the hang of it, then start moving your work piece around...also try welding different thickness

it probably also isnt a bad idea to force some mistakes, that way you see what mistakes cause what problems and know what to look for later when you see similar problems

buy some welding how-to books and read them...talk to old timers...listen to advice that comes from those that do know what they are doing...

wait...that just ruled me out...I aint no welder...

#4 ·
one thing too. try and stay out of the wind if your outside. the gas blows away easy and it will cause your welds to crap out. they'll look all bubbly because the air washed out your shield gas before they cooled.

#10 ·
that really depends on what type of stuff you want to do...there are lots of tools that you can make yourself, and others that are handy to have, but you may not have much of a use for...

use an old c-clamp and cut off the fixed end, weld a small section of heavy plate to the cut end, tack weld it where you want to clamp a piece

take a piece of angle, whatever size you have laying around, with a heavy wall, and cut off two sections about 4-6 inches long...clamp them to another piece of angle to hold them parallel to each other, spaced about 1-2 inches apart, and weld some strong pieces of scrap between them to hold them in place...now you have a simple jig that two pieces of round or square stock can be clamp into to hold the butt ends togthor and aligned while you tack them togethor at opposing sides, and have access almost every where around the seam to tack

cut two pieces of lighter angle about 24-36 inches long, drill a hole at one end of each, and bolt them togthor using a wing nut...use a smaller angle finder or protractor to set the angle, and lock them in place to have a larger angle guage

honestly, there is an endless number of fabrication tools you can make yourself, and its common to make your own jigs, fixtures, tools, etc as your using them...thats part of fabricating

#9 ·
good chop saw
Torch's
A good vise
Make a welding table. All steel so you can ground the table and weld small objects without having to ground right to it. Also it gives you a nice flat level surface. Make the surface with at least 1/4"-3/16" steel to help prevent warping. Practice lots and lots of practice. Also check out a local comm college most of them offer some type of welding classes. Good luck and happy welding. :thumb:

#12 ·
I'll have to dig them up, but I have a TIG and a MIG book here from miller or lincoln for welding excercises and tips and what not, that I got from the welding program at the Allegan County Votech. I will look for them and if you are interested you can have them.

#13 ·
My dad was a backyard fabricator. He bought himself a brand new miller welder. He couldn't weld with it to save his life. :teehee:.....even after I showed him the best I could. What I have realized is that some people can weld and some people can't. I did get a new welder out it though :d: Thanks dad :beer:

#16 ·
i tried this. My plan failed miserably and my father is now aws certified in 3/8 plate 3g 7018 stick welding. and he is a mason of all things!

hey kyle once you get started post some pictures of your welds. im sure alot of us can help you more if we see what is going on. good luck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.