Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Where is everyone getting there tires mounted?

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  slvrlake survivor 
#1 ·
I was just wondering where everyone is going to get tires mounted. I went to 4 local tire shops and was turned away because they said my tires were too big. So far I tried a Discount tire, a belle tire, pep boys , and a no name local shop. My tires aren't even that big they are 37x14x15 Swamper Iroks. So far the only place I called that said that they could was Harlow and they wanted $30 a tire just to dismount and mount that is not balancing or valve stems or anything. Pep Boys said they could do it for $10 a tire and told me they could do my 37x14 over the phone but when I got there it was a different story. I dont need balancing, I just need 4 tires dismounted and mounted on 4 different wheels. Any Suggestions

#22 ·
I said Fuck Belle tire and others that want $20 a wheel to mount and balance. :finger:

I did it myself also, two people, a can a WD-40, a handy-dandy and a screwdriver/pry bar. And as FUELFIRE said above, you may be able to seat the bead, I got 2 out of 4 on my 37 boggers. :thumb:

#7 ·
walmart

damn lucky if wally world will do it they will only mount tires that the truck call for say the stock tire is a 235 75 15 tha is all they will put on I use to work at the sears auto center in muskegon we had a lot of ppl come and ask if we would mount tires like that and we would

#11 ·
They told me they can't mount and balance. I was going to order my tires from them a few months back and they said they could order them, but I would have to take them to Discount Tire to have them mounted up...38x15.5r20 if it matters. I did call around to get prices from all of the shops around here, and every place I called (belle tire, discount, tireman) said they didn't have a problem mounting them. The only place that couldn't balance was the Tireman store in Monroe because anything over 36" wouldn't clear the shield on their machine.

#8 ·
I usually mount and dismount my own tires unless I want the rims to stay perfect. get a pair of "spoons" (tire irons) from a dirtbike shop and use a 4:1 or so mixture of water and liquid dish soap and it'll be easy. you just have to make sure you put the bead in the groove on the rim or you'll never get it. walmart usually balances tires for pretty cheap or you could just put some airsoft bb's in it.

#12 ·
in texas the wal-mart there would mount/dis-mount for $10, or if you just needed mounting $5. That was for 39.5's

Here they have these new stupid machine's that can only do up to a 31" tire. they said they've had problems with doing some trucks because they couldn't fit the tires on the machine.

I need to learn to do it my self (I need to mount my spare).
Any suggestions on a good pry bar that won't gouge? or should i get some cheap tire spoons?

#14 ·
call belle tire, they have a truck shop in redford that can do it.

#17 ·
I ended up welding up a bead breaker out of some scrap I had laying around. Then I got out the tire irons and some soap and did it the old fashion way in the back yard. I only got two done last night before it got dark so I will have to finish when I get out of work today. It really didn't take that long, even including the time to make the bead breaker and run to Murrays for valvestems and lugnuts. Thanks

#21 ·
sorry they (Discount Tire) gave you a hard time. I'm a manager for them in Illinois and welcome larger tires no prob. I've sold anywhere from 31" - 47" interco's (the 47" LTBs were dropped shipped though :naughty: )

you unfortunately probably got one of the lazy stores that doesn't like working with larger tires. if there's ever an issue, let me know and I will see what I can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.