Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

98 TJ Build....Updated 4/16/10

110K views 732 replies 90 participants last post by  benny87 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I was going to wait for little bit before I start to post it up, but a buddy convinced me to do so.. My project was starting as a 98 TJ from my previous builds have ended my JP to 6in long arm and ARBs front and rear with 4.88 gears and an NV4500 trans. Now its onto one tons and arounf 40s depending on what tire I buy.

Build Specs:
Poly mounts, front 3 link and rear 4 link
79 fornt HP 60, 5.38, 35 spline inner and outters
GM 14 bolt 5.38 gears
2.5" x 14" SAW air shocks
fuel cell

Ill take some more pics after this weekend when i get the frame all cleared off and so on.

Ben

The Jeeps resting place for the build.

Front axle out

The only bling I have for right now.

And the old tires are for sale so go see them in the sale section.

See less See more
#382 ·
AA told me not to use any support that comes off the rear output. They said it should be fine alone but if you think you really need a support then to do it off the bottom plate bolts. Theres multiple threads on pirate too about tranny breakage with the use of rear support rings. Just an fyi I suppose. Builds looking good by the way.

#383 ·
Theres multiple threads on pirate too about tranny breakage with the use of rear support rings.
the problem with the ones breaking is more a problem of crappy mounting rather than having a tail shaft support.

if you look at almost every one that has had a failure it is because the transmission took an impact and the tail shaft support held the t-case down and something had to give. if you make the trans and it's mount so it's not going to take an impact without distributing it evenly then you will have problems... I.E. different crossmembers for each mount or one of them against the belly skid where it will deflect.

mine will have the mid support, tail shaft support and torque arm off the output side of the t-case mount all on the same cross member, if one takes a hit they all will. that's the key.

if I had more than 1/2" clearance from my t-case to the cross member I would make a single support that hooked to the access panel like AA's divorced mount and BTF's latest mount. the more material you can grab and hold together in one piece the better.

#385 ·
They are for sale, $65 As is in the picture. I will take some better pictures this weekend. They are CNC'd 6061 .50" Thick, you just have to add a bushing.

Now for my update......

IT LOOKS LIKE A JEEP (somewhat)

The tub is sitting on the rear uppers because I have to still clearance the tub for the rear uppers. So really it has to come down about another 1.0" than it should be good.

#387 ·
Right there is only 65"s on the 30" spares so add another 5" for 5" rad on the tire and than add another 4" for shock because this is at full pump, so the overall well say will be at 75".. Im happy with that, my full traction lift and my 35s my jeep was 77" to the top of the windshield.

#388 ·
Hey guys, I am new here and jumped over from pirate to check out benny's build for the front 4-link (currently building a TJ). Anyways, I wanted to mention something about the rear support on the Atlas. I was debating this and got to talking exstensively to AA about it. The Atlas is not designed to support anything on the tail housing like it will when you add the support there. That is why they tell you to support it from the bottom. Also, the biggest reason I didnt use a tail support is that as soon as you do, it automatically voids your warranty on the atlas.

Anyways, build looks good benny. You need to update this thread also, its been a month..

#394 ·
any more updates? who tapped your front uppers for you and what are the upper link lengths your running
I'm having trouble clearing my oil pan and having any chance of a front drive shaft, i didn't notice until now the tapped links that would free up some room for sure

#395 ·
Well Updates, ya its been all small sheet metal and what not. No real picures. Made some neat looking covers for my air shocks in the rear fenders, bought an art carr shifter today actually. Made a mechanical linkage design here at my work for my atlas instead of cables. Umm working on a design for the center console and what not. Looking at some wiring stuff for the engine and a fuel cell. So just a bunch of little tedious work..

I tapped my upper links, they are for 7/8" Rod ends. I dont remember my tubing thickness, but I had to drill them before I could tap them. I want to say they were OD 1.25" x .25" wall. But dont hold me to it.

For the atlas tail shaft support. It is still in the air on what i am going to do because for simplicity I might be able to make a mount that will support the case from the bottom plate and might be able to get that to work, But its still in the air because I have its small bolts that hold the bottom plate on the tcase and I would be supper mad if I destroyed the threads soo. When i finish the fuel and the interior stuff and wiring I will take the tub off once again and do some more fab work down there.

#423 ·
Yeah, Ben, thanks for the tires. Working great so far and fit perfect. Had to mount'em on the Walker Evans though:rock: Much better:thumb: Keeping the H2's for now, don't know why, but I am.

Yours is looking good. Get it done so we can go to Rocks & Valleys:naughty:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.