Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Toyota officially admits 'Shame' over Tundra

3K views 65 replies 19 participants last post by  roll-bar Bob 
#1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/05/toyota-tundra-woes-shame-automaker/

Toyota Tundra woes "shame" automaker

The corporate culture that has charged Toyota's ascendance in the automotive world isn't without its pitfalls. Pride in quality products has driven the automaker for decades and the recent spate of issues with the Tundra – from snapping camshafts, cracking tailgates and faulty torque converters – is making Toyota executives realize that exponential growth is not without its pains.

Speaking with Automotive News at the Tokyo Motor Show, ToMoCo's global manufacturing exec admitted that problems with the automaker's full-size pickup have caused "shame" within the company. Takeshi Uchiyamada cited the rapid expansion of Toyota's production facilities, increased sales and issues with new products as being the major dilemmas facing the automaker, but that all these problems are being addressed. Recognizing the issue is half the battle, but time will tell whether or not Toyota's break-neck pace will continue to hamper the Japanese firm's growth.

#3 ·
it always takes a year or two to work the BUGS out!!!

look at the taco when they first came out with the 3.4L toyota had to put out a recall on the head gaskets and I think it was the ball-joints

but they are still great trucks :thumb:

My 04.5 Ram has only had one recall but I have had to take it into the dealer 27 times for shit covered under the WARRANTY

I would still buy a Toyota over a Dodge :beerbang:

#4 · (Edited)
The whole notion of it takes a few years to get the bugs out when a model launches is bullshit. That's thinking left over from the 90's. Even still, under no circumstances should pick-up beds and tailgates be failing like that.

If you've had to take your truck to the dealer 27 times for shit covered under warranty I would blame your dealership.

You're also talking about Toyota here, who has such Godlike quality with their cars they shouldn't have any issues period.

#22 ·
Well wear to start I had

6 trips do to u-joints failing

2 trips do to busted spider gears in the rear end

8 trips do to falling door seals

1 trip do to power seat not working

2 trips do to power windows not working

7 trips do to power steering problems that are still not solved

and most recently

1 trip do to a cracked fuel rail

half the trips were to the Dodge dealer in Clarkston and the other half were to Saint Clear Dodge. With exception of one trip to a dealer when we were in Alberta Canada and one trip to the dealer in Kzoo.:thumb:

#23 ·
6 u joints and 2 spider gears?

Hmmmmm......what has been the cause of failure? Is this common amongst all dodges or did you get a lemon? Do you beat the living shit out of it?

***This post has not yet been approved by Tippy, Please PM for details of the post. Thanks, Management***

#28 ·
6 u joints and 2 spider gears?Hmmmmm......what has been the cause of failure? Is this common amongst all dodges or did you get a lemon? Do you beat the living shit out of it?

***This post has not yet been approved by Tippy, Please PM for details of the post. Thanks, Management***

well the u-joints are not greaseable so with long trips they go quick. the spider gears failled once pulling stumps, once comming off a dirt road with spinning tires hitting pavement, and once pulling off the line at a light.

#29 ·
Toyota is trying to get into a market that Americans have been really good at for a while, full sized trucks. This is what happens when you rush a vehicle through the R&D process to the consumer, just to try and get some market share. Obviously, they have not tested this vehicle in the way that it has been or sould be used. The SHAME of the company that has been reported is proof of that.

#32 ·
Post approved

I may get irratated by your posts, but roll bar bob is really somebody I cant stand, Calling out Koz on his work, by the way, how is your uncles dakota, that was such a BS story, then he turns around and posts obvious pictures of illegal wheeling and asks gen. sensus if its ok.

Chad, now that I'm vented with you every things good

tear up RBB all you want

#42 ·
When the gmt800 was released, the frames were folding on the 3/4 tons, thay recalled and stopped production. Also the spider gears were failing causing the rear ends to lock up, I cant remember if they actually recalled them.
And chevy had been building full size trucks for 50 years.

You cant blame the company for building pickups that cant take "it" any more. 90% of the pickups they sell will never be loaded with anything more than groceries. That includes all the lol1tons with tonneau covers and no hitch reciever.

#44 ·
This is RGDD!!!!

Today there is NO EXCUSE for a vehicle to have these types of failures after launch, it is unacceptable for a company to have "time to work out the bugs" I am glad that Toyota is embarrassed, and I hope GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, and WTFE builds a truck with these problems.

Unfortuatly for us die hard Big 3 people out there, Toyota was the top of the hill, and they have slipped.... but now there is Honda and Hyundia that all 4 need to chase now.

And you can't drive a 1 ton Dodge like you drive a 1/2 ton Toyota.There is much more to that story than we are getting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.