Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Teardrop trailer project

43K views 164 replies 76 participants last post by  jeepfreak81 
#1 · (Edited)
This isn't a vehicle project, but it is something that is outdoor related. A teardrop camper is a small hard sided trailer that can easily be towed by a Jeep or other small vehicle. Depending on what kind of suspension you install, it can be used offroad also. There is generally a sleeping area up front and the galley is outside, accesses through a rear hatch.

I based mine on a set of plans in a 1947 Popular Mechanics article. Most of these are 4'x8'. Mine is just shy of 5'x10', because I wanted more room. Mine has almost a queen size bed, cabinets at the head of the bed, cabinets over the foot of the bed, an under floor storage area, and the galley. It should weigh just over 1000 pounds.

I actually plan on making the cover for the floor storage a table, so you can put the table up, put your feet down in the storage area, and sit and eat.

here is the trailer we welded up 2" square tubing, 4" square tongue.

Home Depot loves me.

Frame built, 2x4 and 2x3s.

floor built, that hole is where the storage will be. The floor has 1.5" of insulation.

The floor upside down and coated with roofing material.

The walls cut out and mounted.

Here is the front closet area. There will be doors on the lower holes. Shelves on the left and hooks on the top of the right. The three holes at the top will remain open and just be storage.

I am building this to have something dry and up off of the ground to camp in, that I can pull with my TJ, so I don't have to tent it. I have tried pop-ups and thought this would be more fun.

Here is it's current state of construction as of 10/05/08

See less See more
#2 ·
very cool. Looks like a hell of a good project. do you have alot of woodworking expereince?

I'd shackle up those springs and put tires on it to match the jeep.

what are your plans for siding/roofing ?

#6 · (Edited)
do you have alot of woodworking expereince?

I'd shackle up those springs and put tires on it to match the jeep.

what are your plans for siding/roofing ?
Not really, but I have done a little of everything, like framing doors, building a bar, refinished my basement, etc.

I have thought of matching up the Jeep wheels.

Roof will be 1/4" ply covered with sheet aluminum. Sides will be epoxy marine paint.

Bones So far I have about 500-600 into it with building the trailer, screws, glue and wood. I haven't gotten any hardware or aluminum (trim, latches, roof cover, etc.), I am aiming for around 2 grand total.

#3 ·
hmmm, cool idea, keep taking pics of everything

can you keep a tab of how much $$ you have into it? I would be curious to see what you have into it at the end...

oh, and weight it when you're done too.

#7 ·
Nice-looking project. :thumb: Just out of curiousity, did you use treated wood on the underside? All of the 2x4s look like standard studs (untreated). If so, how will you seal the underside? Is that what the roofing sealer does?

Craig

#9 · (Edited)
Just out of curiousity, did you use treated wood on the underside? All of the 2x4s look like standard studs (untreated). If so, how will you seal the underside? Is that what the roofing sealer does?

Craig
No treated wood, the bottom skin is moisture resistant luan, top is 1/2" flooring plywood. It is all sealed with roofing material. I looked into covering the bottom with aluminum. Everything I read said not to, the skin traps moisture and makes the wood rot. Hopefully with everything sealed, caulked, and glued together, no water will get in there. The insulation is closed cell styrofoam, so hopefully dryrot won't be an issue.

One thing I like about building it myself, I know how it's put together. If the wooden frame rots, I will cut it out and replace it with treated lumber. I don't think I will have a problem though. I overbuilt my frame, a lot of them don't even have frames and just use a 3/4" piece of plywood for the floor. I did the frame so I could insulate, just in case I camp a weekend like we had during the Pig Gig... :d:

Edit: Here is a scan of the 1947 article I (losely) based my design from. It's in Adobe format http://www.tinytears.cc/Scans/Trailer%20For%20Two.pdf

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, what do they call that stuff? Filon or something? I may do it some time down the road. Right now I am trying to keep the budget down.

Here are a couple of updated pics, the interior roof is in and the galley is started. I would have a bunch more done, but I took 4 days off for the Pig Gig.. :d:

Next is framing in the galley and running electrical.

Redmud, what would you do with it, it already has a functioning axle?!?! :sonicjay:
Would you trade me Tommy for it? :tonka:

#16 ·
Thanks, it's actually been a lot of fun to build. I am really building it by the seat of my pants. My plans don't consist of any measurements. So a I am just looking at things and seeing if I like how they come out. I tell you what, it's square. I cut the ply for the inside and it can't be more that 1/32nd of an inch off.

You like my 30 year old Craftsman electric tool set? Sorry the circular saw isn't in there. :sonicjay:

Do all of Tommy's Jeeps come in the package deal?

#28 ·
Thanks for all the support!
I have been having fun making some sawdust. So far I have around 200 or so in the trailer, 400 in wood and 200 in miscellaneous stuff.

Ran the wiring for lights and power points.

built this box for the electrical

I got the outside skin on, 1.5" of insulation under it.

insulated the inside, 3/4".

I added the skin on the inside

here is the inside cabinet over the bed, there is a space over the top for blankets and pillows.

my next big project is the galley.

I told the kid that I built her a bed and stuffed her inside. :sonicjay:

So I guess it has been load tested.

#32 ·
That thing is sweet, I stopped and looked at the dealership to see what they get new for them pre-built... damn near what a pop-up cost. 5k-9k were the sticker prices.

As far as the aluminum you mentioned on the bottom, my parents Starcraft 'Winter' pop up has all the undercarriage and bed bunks shrouded in aluminum and insulation, it is still as solid as it was in 1984/85 when they bought it, and it sits over dirt most of the time.

Should be an awesome rig when it's done. Here are some old school pics...

The first jeep:

The 2nd Jeep, this jeep eventually got a 265 CI SBC V8 for pulling it in the back country.

The restored setup today -- still in the guys family...

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Owners/Shank/Shank.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.