68K views 692 replies 57 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 · (Edited)
traded off my xj for this.

starts life as a 2.5 5 speed w/ 4.10's 3.5" lift and 33's

thinkin windsor, c6 205, waggys, 6ds, and 40's. but time and $$$ will tell

:beer::beer:

See less See more
#4 ·
since getting this mid summer, i have about a dozen trips on it and been able to cruise around town with it too. wife likes it too.

the repair list to date:

*new motor, old one was JUNK if anyone wants parts off it it is still sitting on the floor in the barn.
*all new bolts in the t-case, when i got it there was only 1 finger tight holding it on :(
*rebuilt the trans crossmember area of the skid
*installed a set of recessed LED tail lights (read "bling")
*couple of u joints as to be expected

a recent trip to the badlands cost me a brake line (stood on it and found a spot that didnt want to hold pressure anymore) a front shock, and pass inner and stub shaft. but for the abuse this has seen this summer it is about time that something broke.

gonna try to keep this build in a budget, and the drivetrain from motor to tires will be built with the intention of being swapped into a buggy in the future.

#21 ·
opinion time...

is it easier in the long run to do the drivetrain swap while it is still on the stock axles or smarter to do the suspension first so i can take into account the driveline angles i will be dealing with?

#33 ·
I say suspension and axles first then drive train. But what do i know..................Just think if you get the axles and suspension in and dont get the motor in you can still wheel it.....
I think this is the way to go. You can run the tires you have on the 6d's and that way if all the cash is not there to drop the motor in you can still play. Look how long Collin wheeled the 4banger and 6d's before putting the big motor in.

#30 ·
I guess the way I figure is you wont be happy with a 4 banger and built axles you cant go anywhere because of lack of power, but on the other hand you wont be happy breaking parts because of HP and weak parts. In reality, if you do axles first, the only thing you may change is the rear pinion angle depending on motor/trans/case length, and you can get shims to adjust that, and drive shafts.

I think I would do it all at once, then you don't have to worry about it.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.