Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Teardrop trailer project

43K views 164 replies 76 participants last post by  jeepfreak81 
#1 · (Edited)
This isn't a vehicle project, but it is something that is outdoor related. A teardrop camper is a small hard sided trailer that can easily be towed by a Jeep or other small vehicle. Depending on what kind of suspension you install, it can be used offroad also. There is generally a sleeping area up front and the galley is outside, accesses through a rear hatch.

I based mine on a set of plans in a 1947 Popular Mechanics article. Most of these are 4'x8'. Mine is just shy of 5'x10', because I wanted more room. Mine has almost a queen size bed, cabinets at the head of the bed, cabinets over the foot of the bed, an under floor storage area, and the galley. It should weigh just over 1000 pounds.

I actually plan on making the cover for the floor storage a table, so you can put the table up, put your feet down in the storage area, and sit and eat.

here is the trailer we welded up 2" square tubing, 4" square tongue.

Home Depot loves me.

Frame built, 2x4 and 2x3s.

floor built, that hole is where the storage will be. The floor has 1.5" of insulation.

The floor upside down and coated with roofing material.

The walls cut out and mounted.

Here is the front closet area. There will be doors on the lower holes. Shelves on the left and hooks on the top of the right. The three holes at the top will remain open and just be storage.

I am building this to have something dry and up off of the ground to camp in, that I can pull with my TJ, so I don't have to tent it. I have tried pop-ups and thought this would be more fun.

Here is it's current state of construction as of 10/05/08

See less See more
#70 ·
swet project i've been thinking that would make a good off road camper tierdrop campers are cool and i am defintly going to build one they are bad ass hey how wide is your axle I have a Dana 20 from my cj7 laying in my grage just getting rusty would that posably work

#71 ·
I got some sliding windows for the side doors and should be putting those in next weekend. I also built the ribs for the back hatch, so hopefully that will be getting some attention soon.

My garage is currently full of water, so I have been procrastinating. :(

Updates soon!

If I remember right, my axle is just over 5' wide. The problem with using the American Motors 20, is weight. If you don't care what the trailer weighs, it would work fine. But junk yard trailer axles are super cheap, and all the hardware is attached.

#72 ·
For teh Scooter, I went out and did some work on the teardrop today.. :d:

I finished one door and got the window cut out done in the other. I didn't have enough lluan left to skin the inside of the other door.

Here is the cooler slider...
The tracks are supposed to be 250 pound capacity, we'll see.

The ribs for the back hatch are done, I should get to that next weekend or so. I'm looking forward to having that finished..

I think after that it's epoxy coating time! :woot:

#85 ·
So Jeepr... how's the Flattie coming along? Please tell me that the flattie will tow this trailer- that'd be the coolest camping set up ever. like +1,000,000,000 street cred.

#97 ·
NICE! Posting to get the updates on this... can't wait to see the next phase!

#100 ·
For teh ScOoTeR I went out and built the rear hatch today. :naughty:

Have you ever had one of those days when everything is just a complete pain in the ass? The first thing I did was smash my left pointer finger with a ball-peen hammer.. :miff:

I wrecked a bunch of other stuff too, but the hatch came out pretty good.. :sonicjay:

Here is a better shot of the one door that I installed the window in.

Getting pretty close to epoxy, paint, and aluminum trim time!! :woot:

#102 ·
Those door latches took a lot of engineering! :sonicjay:

I will probably put round metal fenders on it initially and plan on upgrading them later. The wall is reinforced over the tires to bolt anything too. I was going to build wood ones, but I want to keep the weight down. Maybe some retro flabbergass ones.. like these

#109 ·
It's just sitting right now. I plan on finishing it here pretty soon. I just can't seem to get any time to work on it lately. I need to find someplace where I can get a sheet of aluminum 5' wide to skin it with. I haven't really called around locally, but I'm hoping one of the places around here can get it. I am going to order the epoxy to coat it with next week, then coat it the week after. Then it will be ready to finish up, so hopefully I will be updating this soon. :thumb:

I do plan on using this thing at least a few times this year.. :fish:

#112 ·
how much did this cost to build?
Ditto ... I've been toying of the idea vs. pop-up for a while now. Would like to know the investment required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.