Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2005 Chevy Cobalt Manual Trans question.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Spence1986 
#1 ·
My brother and I put a new engine in his car over the weekend and after getting that all worked out we went for a drive and the transmission(5 speed) wont shift into 1st gear. The first gear position(top left) seems to be 3rd gear. and 3rd gear is 3rd gear position(top middle) to. Everything works in the transmission besides 1st gear it and the reverse lights aren't working now(related?).

We did put a New clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, Slave cylinder and Hydraulic line while it we had it split from the old engine to new.

Any Suggestions as to what i did wrong or what could have went wrong? I checked the linkage and it looks good, no binding or anything blocking its way.

Thanks in advance.
Russ

#4 ·
We checked the cables and they're all attached(via push pins) to there correct old location,we only unhooked them at the transmission. 2nd gear is pretty easy to get into.

adjust the cables should be right under the center console in front of the shifter
Going to try this along with replacing the "Roll pin" in the linkage right at the transmission. I guess(from google searches) that it wears out and can cause this same problem.

Link to replacing the Roll Pin

#7 ·
Shift Cable Adjustment
 1. Set the parking brake.
 2. Remove the cup holder. Refer to Front Floor Console Cup Holder Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

 3. Lift and unlock the shift cable retainers.

 4. Push the shifter neutral lock clip. Move the shifter slightly in order to center the lock clip.
 5. Ensure that the transmission is in neutral.

 6. Press and lock the shift cable retainers.

 7. Pull the shifter neutral lock clip to its original position.
 8. Install the cup holder. Refer to Front Floor Console Cup Holder Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

#8 ·
Found the issue last night. The bracket that holds the end of the shift cables was loose and rolled down maybe 50 Degrees causing it to be to close to pull the linkage into first.. Easy but frustrating fix. I thought for sure that plate had a key or tongue and grove that made it line up, O well.

Thanks the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.