Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

my improved rig

3K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  jamiesann 
#1 ·
i know it still looks kind of shitty but it is a work in progress
i just got done putting bondo on all of the welds to kleen it up and going to paint it this summer with a black to red fade. it think it looks a lot better than before.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

See less See more
#4 ·
size doesn't matter it's how you use it

me and buddy build about three a year
if i were you i would build a baja beetle

#6 ·
I think it looks like piss. Can't you at least pretend there is a front on that? It looks like a chevy astro van without a body. Also isn't the exhaust a bit far out/close to the ground to actualy do anything but ride on the road? Why did you waste your time/money on relocating it?

#8 ·
deuce228 said:
I think it looks like piss. Can't you at least pretend there is a front on that? It looks like a chevy astro van without a body. Also isn't the exhaust a bit far out/close to the ground to actualy do anything but ride on the road? Why did you waste your time/money on relocating it?

anything that coems off of them new swampers u say ordered is just gonan beat hte hell outa the pipe. and hear big tings.

i dont see anydifference besides the rims and wider tires

#12 · (Edited)
Hey muncher,

Why are you on this board? I mean you don't even seem to aspire to own a jeep or other 4x4(as i do at least). You harass sellers, and post this crap on here. Then your trying to pawn off your lawn equipment on here. Im not quite sure your purpose here. I personally would stop dumping money into something like that and maybe actually get to owning something that holds some sort of value.

#13 ·
well i'll tell you what i do want to own a 4x4 but i don't have the money to so this is the next best thing. I am going though a hard time right now and i just want to have a little fun with it sorry i you dont like it only thing that matters is that i like it

#15 ·
yyes dual port 1600 cc than it got the big bore kit
get the dual port engine not the single port
and make sure you have the heat risers

#16 ·
Yeah, what are you really running?

I assume sinsc you aren't talking real details, other than JC Whitney terms like 'big bore kit' that you are just running a 1641 setup with a single carb.

You ain't making 100 hp with that, I'd estimate 70-75 or so.

I might build a buggy again, but wouldn't even bother with a VW motor again. The amount of work to make 150 hp (conversion factor, thats 200 *vwman* HP), its too much money.

I can put in a Honda motor making 175 hp for about $1000. i doubt any stock stroke VW type 1 motor is going to make 175 hp. Even if you did, cost of 1914 jugs, cylinders, flycutting & porting the heads, block work, dual carbs, etc, you got $2k into it.

Aluminum block/head, honda B series motors barely weigh more than a fully dressed VW motor (I have lifted both bymyself without a hoist), 8000+ rpm, honda motors or a rotary mazda would be my egnine of choice, with a transporter transaxle (with the diff flipped for a reverse rotation honda motor)

#17 ·
Monster4.0 said:
So basically you are saying it's not a 1600cc. I'm assuming you started with a dual port 1600 before the big bore.
Generally, the 'big bore' kits are a new set of jugs and pistons that bump the displacement a touch to 1641 cc. They are thinner wall cylinders because they fit into the stock block.

Normally, if you were building a performance engine with the stock crank, you go to 1776, 1835, or 1914 ccs, which are all larger pistons. To fit the cylinder jugs, the engine block must be bored to accomodate the cylinder bases.

#18 ·

Hm the only improvement you could possibly do is to cut it up for short steel...you might $300.:sonicjay:

#21 ·
i'm runnig a 1600 cc dual port vw engine with the big bore kit.
i was told that it is making around 100 hp by a guy that builds them up in harrison mi

#26 ·
wow you people that make fun of this kid are fucking ass holes, so what his buggy isnt great. its what he's got. sure he acts pretty stupid on this site, but will you all please shut the FUCK up about it. I dunno about you but i used to make fun of kids in highschool, not anymore, and especially online. Internet hard ass's, why dont you post your garbage. sure your truck might have 4 wheel drive, but by some peoples standards its garbage, so shut up about it and grow up.
END OF RANT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.