Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Toyota DD/Rig

9K views 83 replies 25 participants last post by  7mRunner 
#1 ·
Always wanted a pickup and i finally got one.

Basics:
1987 Toyota 4x4 p/u
IFS
22re
5spd
4in?? body lift:( but i'm a high school student and i want to throw my 3 mo old 31's under there... the body lift stays until i can afford to replace it with suspension.

The truck runs phenomenally and has very little rust on it.

Plans: drive it to school and back and hopefully through college. Some light wheeling here and there, mostly two track type stuff.

Dream: Total Chaos up front and deaver leas out back. But thats way in the future.

Got rid of this: It was literally falling apart around me and wasn't at all dependable so it went back to my father to sit a few more years in the garage

The TOYOTA

See less See more
#6 ·
the 31's will easily fit as is right now could clear bigger. would probably clear the 31's with the BL gone. i might try to get rid of it sometime this summer. we'll see.

need wider rims for the 31's. dont see the 10.5in tire going well with a 6in wide rim.

Is it possible though to cut the body lift spacers down to a normal height or do i have to buy new spacers?

#5 ·
I have a 84 with 3-4 in of body lift. Clears 33s and looks like maybe 35s
I am in the same boat as you waiting untill I have the time to cut the body lift off and put a suspension on it. So far it has been a fun little truck and has only been almost ripped in half once.

#10 ·
jeeperbrian, the cj will probably sit around for a few years then i'll get it back/buy it cheap to wheel the piss out of it:thumb:. at least i hope so. as far as good luck the Toyota has had less problems in two weeks than the cj did in 24hrs

then again,i think thats why i drive a toyota now. Its actually starts every morning

#13 ·
but ditch the rear bumper :poke:
why would you say that?? that bumper is built like a tank...and its welded to the frame pretty good. i doubt i could get it off

thats awsome :sonicjay: :thumb:
its the truth. it took me like 10 min to get the jeep started every morning. i drive less than a mile to school and if i didnt let the jeep warm up for 10 more minutes it wouldnt make it to school w/o dying.

#30 ·
Here is how she sits now, and probably like this for awhile

looks much better:woot:

Also sprayed the front bumper black and instaled radio and speakers today so i no longer travel in silence.

Next on the to do list:
1. Chop the body lift, possibly in half? (May try to chop current blocks in half and if that doesnt work get new poly ones made)
What do y'all think? Take it away comlpletely or just go down to a 1 - 1.5in?

2. Possibly paint it during the BL removal while i can get at the back of the cab and stuff.

#33 ·
i want to do long travel one day and by any means the kits alone are like $2000 for the front plus at least another $1000 for long travel rear leafs. So for now i have money for nothing. Most probable thing is gonna be go down to about 1 in spacers, so nearly gone but maintain a little extra clearance.

#60 ·
i spent the better part of a year researching LT kits and designs, you won't find a decent one for less than about $3500 for the front w/o shocks and rear leafs are $600 plus shackles and then shocks on top of it, not to mention all the cage work that has to be done. when you are ready to build one for your truck let me know i have one already built and tested it works great i can help you with dimensions if you need them. I am cycling 17" of front travel and 32" of rear travel but the rear is linked.

Attachments

#36 ·
Well, started looking at removing the body lift and discovered the drivers side front cab mount is rusted out. Basically just around where the bolt hole was. About 1.5in hole. Everythign around it is solid so its gonna be a fairly easy fix. Welding it up tommorow night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.