Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1996 dodge diesel shifting problem

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  SHARPMACHINE 
#1 ·
I have a 96 cummins 4x4 with an auto in it. It recently started shifting way to quick on occasion. It will shift clear up to lock up by ~ 15mph. If I shift it manualy everything is cool. I am thinking the valve body controls this, but would like a few other opinions.

thanks

#7 ·
thanks

I asked at dtr also, thanks. I did not get as many responces as here though. I am going to look into lubing the tv cable?? I am unsure how to check the other stuff. This problem is intermitent, works fine one time, screws up the next???

Appreciate the help, any way to check any of the electronic stuff??

#9 ·
just a thought but if the tv cable sticks it will give you higher shift points, it wouldn't really strech some times and be not streached others. does a 96 even have a kick down (tv) cable?? thats got to be right near the end if it does. If its an electric controlled trans i would think gremlins, hydro controll maybe gum in the valve body.

#12 ·
yes they still have a TV cable...

I agree with tranny tom...

you may even check to see if the cable has popped of the arm on the trans itself and make sure if it is there is a spring attached like a throttle return spring.

#10 ·
:confused: I have been checking things out. I put the tps back to stock, and thought that was all that was wrong cuz it worked good for a couple weeks. I checked the tv cable and it seems fine (no snaggs, drags or catches). Now it started doing it again. :(

#11 ·
put the tps back to stock???

#13 ·
Cartman,

Any way to test the tcm? It is very pricey, but could be the problem??
-----------------------------------------
user name wrote, Put the tps back to stock??

I had advanced the tps to set the proper voltage. It is done fairly often with folks at dtr to make the tranny/converter lock at the right time. I have now set it back to the stock location. I would not think a tps could force early shifts either, isn't it supposed to only control lock-up??
----------------------------------
KILLER B,

The tv cable seems to be working correctly. I am not trying to second guess anyone, I just do not understand how the tv cable could make the tranny shift early???

new question, Could it be that my computer needs flashed, or my vss is bad??

thanks again everyone!!!!

#16 ·
one thing that hasen't been said about the Tv cable is where it hooks in the trans can fall apart. its been noted to me that several have came apart. in the advent of this the trans goes straight for up shift since it sees no throttle presure. hence the 15mph up shifts

#17 ·
the vss would affect it, but it should also affect your spedo. so that is unlikely. check codes first, easy thing to do. and because no one has asked it, or i just missed it... hows the fluid?? full?? clean??

when does it do the problem? when its cold, or hot. after its been sitting a week or 5 min? after it shifts funky for the time, is it normal after that, when you need to accelerate again?

#18 ·
Yetti,
I will check it out, that makes sense.

noodles,
Fluid is good. I had heard about the vss thing. The speedo, I have noticed it act strange a couple of times. It was verying a little bit while maintaining one speed.
Mostly does it when warmed up, not always. It will do it and then you can shut it off for a second and it might quit?????

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.