Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

"The Predator" another YJ build.

70K views 606 replies 40 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 ·
This is my first time starting a build thread. Started out as 1990 jeep Wrangler 6cyl auto. Not running. Previous to it i had a 1986 chevy 3/4 ton pickup. The had a head on collision.
Motor, trans, tcase, axles, and YES the chevy emblem were put into the jeep.
Id start at the beginning, but dont know how to upload actual pictures. So ill start with a few years ago. With lots of pictures, every one likes pictures.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

See less See more
#242 ·
Thanks Randy. Im happy with the barn..getting plenty of use out of it.

Here's the acc/cigarette lighter plug for my smart fone charger.

Here is my rigged up rear view mirror mount with a clip to hold my phone. So now I can video and drive at the same time. Whoot!!

Started to work on my rear body armor again tonight. Didn't likebthe tube I had on it before. So I cut it all off and restarted. Its 3/16" plate on the rear, painted red oxide primer right now. Will be painted the Sunkist orange that my jeep is now. And the tube will he black.

This is before tube.

Here is with the tube bent and tack welded on.

Now this pic shows where the outer body armor will have some 1.75" .25" wall dom going from the roll cage IN the jeep to the 3/16 plate on the outside. To give it that much more rigidity. Its only two spots, but I figured for side armor that would h enough.

Hope all this ends up keeping my body together for a few more years.

Next on the list is moving front shock mounts up 1" so I have a little more up travel and can set the jeep a little lower. And to add some sweet progressive rate bump stops up front. And rear soon.
Also want to do some sort of windshield frame protection, I keep smashing it. You can only buy it for TJs. ???

Any ideas?? For windshield protection.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

#246 · (Edited)
My windshield protection.
It ties into the rockers at the bottom, windshield hinges mid point and to the cage at the top. The tie in at the top is a Z-bracket so my soft top doors will still close.

You can see from the scratches that it does a pretty good job. I have flopped several times and rolled it onto my lid once with no damage to the glass. But I've managed to break the glass several times since I did this because of sticks & roots. :(

Here is where it gets really nice. If you can keep from hitting the cowl, once you get contact with the hoop you can power on past.

#250 ·
Thanks Kyle, finally working on my own crap.

I think I understand the "z" bracket to tie windshield tube to interior cage.

Thinking about trying to incorporate the windshield hinge bolts into tue same thing u did with the door hinges.
Or possibly tie it to the roll cage inside behind tue the door hinges. .
Hmm lots to ponder.
Thanks guy's!

sended frum dis stoopid fone.

#251 ·
Kind of ignored some of the visitors we had today to tinker on the jeep, and do some work for some spare $$$.

So I got the sides all welded up and ready for primer and paint!

Got some more side work to do tomorrow. .may or may not get any further. We shall c!

#253 ·
Here you go. The purpose of the flair back at the top was to get as close to the cage as possible so that a small tree would not get caught in between. As you can see, I haven't done much damage to the frame so it's doing its job. I also had to notch it on the underside to get the soft top into the rail.

Here you can see how tight the Z fits to the windshield frame to allow the soft door to fit in place and also how much hand room there is to get the soft top in place.

#254 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the up close pix. That helps alot!..

Got the side protection painted today n cleared. since it was so nice.

Painted! !!

Cleared!

Maybe get em Bolted on in a day or so..
Whoot!!!!!

Im really getting the itch....that I haven't been able to scratch in a while.
Ready to go wheeling!!!!...
Probably have to wait till may 4th though. .do some blessing then twisted.

#259 ·
Got the front bumps on tonight, they are set for 1" more up travel then I have. Goin to move my shock towers up 1 to 2 inches in the next night or two. So thatll b ok.
Also going to try bumps in the rear to see if I can keep leaf springs on this thing.

Here's a pic of the front bumps

This one lands just next to the housing. Pic makes it look like right on the top of it.

Also spent an hour vacuuming since I haven't cleaned it since Drummond last October!!
Maybe ill wash it this week too...get r prettied up fer da blessin..

#262 ·
Well played hookey today, wrapped up the jeep and trailer for the haul to the blessing.
Farted around in the yard climbing trees and stuff, ended up breaking the ball and joint in my front driveshaft. Sooo..had to dream up a quick fix.
Ended up making the front shaft cv less. Droops out ok, the yokes dont bind but they r clooose..
Here's the broke cv

Here's the new shaft. Straight enough for 60mph..lol had to stretch it 3.5" to make up for the cv that is now gone.

Also cleaned the jeep today, first time since last October! Looks ok...color doesn't match 100% but close.

Also tried my home made go pro camera wonder if the video will work? Nothing special just screwing round.

Moving forward, thinking about keeping up with the Jones. .lol copying kyle, and Brian and gunna go 1410 in the front to solve all my problems. .then I only gotta keep one kind of spare joint..Hahaha 1410s...
Ready for the blessing, was planning on night wheeling at twisted Saturday night but plans fell through. Dang it!!!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.