Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Newbe needs some info

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  booblinker 
#1 ·
hey all,
I am a ford fan, had an 86 bronco stock with 33's. Had a lot of fun with it, went through some pretty thick stuff. I just bought a 96 Eddie Bauer Bronco w/ 150,000 miles. The engine (302) and drive train are stock. It has a 6" susp lift (tuff country) and 2-4" body lift. 15" m/t rims and 37x13.5" m/t-cepek tires w/ warn manual hubs. I am farely new to wheelin with "real" trucks so I am curious from anyone experience what can this truck do. Also any comments or recommendations about what I should do to the truck will be appreciated (unless there coming from a chevy fan, just joking). Also my speedometer is off and the research I did lead me to believe there is nothing i can do but buy a part off the web that changes the elec. pulses to recalibrate it. any tips? thanks :beerbang:

#2 ·
It'll be pretty much the same as your other Bronco, but it has bigger tires. The suspensions were the same from 1980-1996. So whatever you did with the other one, you should be able to do a little more with this.

The speed signal is pickedup from a tone ring in the rear axle so you do have to buy an electronic device that intercepts the signal from the rear axle, reprograms it, and sends it on to the cluster. Or you can change the gears to the proper ratio.

Oh, and welcome! :beerbang:

#4 ·
It will affect the transmission shifting slightly. But remember, you're actually going faster than what the speedo reads so the trans is really shifting later.

The part is around $160. I've installed a few but have never run one myself (I like having the proper gear instead).

#8 ·
Welcome you have a pretty capable wheeler as is. Many opinions on the TTB (twin traction beam front axle) but from what I have seen they will hold up under moderate abuse.

Post some pics

#9 ·
I will post some pics i am in the process of cleaning it up from winter. polishing the rims, bumpers, fog lights and sanding and repainting the black light bar on front bumper. any suggestions for this. every black brush gaurd or step bars i see are rusted. i was going to sand the rust off and re prime and paint black again with a clear coat. also i was told the front axle dana i think 44 can only take a 455 gear if i wanted more i would have to go to a custom dana 60 out of the f250's. also when i do the gears should i do lockers. detroit lockers are pretty expensive but are they worth it compared to others. also i want to get a little more power out of it but i am worried about it have 150000 on it. should i do a cold air intake, exhaust or chip.

#10 ·
also the dealer said there is nothing they can do they said they can only reprogram for stock sizes. i dont know if i just went to a dealer and delt with a couple jerks or what. also my buddie actually writes some of the scymatic books for ford and he looked to see if his books said anyhtig but got nothing.

#11 ·
First, use punctuation. :nana:

Second, IIRC, D44's can be geared as high as 5.13, they are very common and there are lots of gear choices out there.

Detroit lockers are great, but there are many more quality traction products out there as well that are nicer to your wallet. Check out Aussie and Powertrax lunchbox style lockers for the best bang for your buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.