Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

01' ford escape V6 auto 4wd

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  88fordman 
#1 ·
my girlfriends escape (140k miles) has the check engine light on now for some time. i was doing the brakes today on her car and later started it to see how they worked. i rev'd it up a bit and noticed that her rpm's do not fall quickly. i mean, i takes about 5-10 seconds for them to fall back to 1000 rpm after reving up to 3000 rpms. could this be an intake leak? i had auto zone check the code and came back as a general emmisions leak, like a gas cap is not properly on). any one have a clue what would cause the rpms to fall so slowly? another thing... after it's been warmed up and i start it, the rpms shoot to around 1800 rpms like it's cold starting. i was also thinking maybe the egr valve. anyone?

#2 ·
The 02 V6 I had for a while did the same thing. The 4cyl in my moms old 05 and now her 07 tend to do the same thing, though not as severe as the V6 did. No idea why it does it, but none of the above had the check engine light on, and the 05 and 07 were both bought off the lot new (the 02 was bought of a used lot with 75k miles), so I don't think it's a 'problem', just annoying as hell.

#3 ·
This is a common problem on the duratech motors. IT's commonly called "moosing" because it sometimes will create a vacuum noise through the intake... It's usually an IAC valve that is just dirty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.