Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

5Hp Briggs and Stratton Governor ???

15K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  skife 
#1 ·
I have a 5HP B&S motor, horizontal shaft. I dont have all the linkages for the governor. Can I just run the throttle directly to the carb or do I need to remove the governor gear / shaft, etc from inside the crank case too? It looks like removing the entire assembly is pretty easy and would add some performance, but really I am just looking to get this thing running for now. I dont want to blow it up yet. Its for a minibike.

:beer:

#2 ·
You can run B&S motors sans governor, been doing it for years on minibikes and go-karts. When the boys were younger, everyone had their own minibike and they would rip around the yard for hours until they ran out of gas. That was my only rule- no refueling a hot motor.

#5 ·
Removing the governor internally just allows you to rev it till it blows right? What about leaving the assmembly in place and just running the throttle cable to the carb with out the governor attached to the throttle linkage??

#6 ·
OK, been doing some research. Going back out to the garage to tear the motor apart, grind down the ports, remove the governor, shave the heads and make a throttle linkage.

#8 ·
Just ditch all of the governor parts, they aren't needed. File the key on the crank about 1/3 of the way, so you can advance the timing, and find a tilotson or mikuni carb if you can.

P.s. you won't get banned from OldMiniBikes.com, just chastised for not searching. There are about threekazilliondibillion posts about it.

#14 ·
Maybe next week I can make it!!! I tore the motor apart, removed the governor internals from the crank case, ground down the slag from the intake and exhaust ports, ground down the block near the valves and cylinder, and removed the exhaust. I am going to make a straight pipe I think. I dont see how to change the jets in this stupid little carb. They dont just turn out like most carbs. Im not sure if I will need to change them or not. ???

#17 ·
jr drag racing started out as just a "What if?" idea but look where it is now. small engines can be a hell of alot of fun. hell i built a craftsman lawn tractor that goes 35 mph. gps verified. it's a scary ride though as tractor steering is sloppy as hell.

#31 ·
I am in that video:naughty:

The next race is scheduled for September 10th. I was trying to talk Hancho into racing too. They race mopeds, scooters, go karts, and pit-bikes there also. All the info is on their site.

I may have to check these Sunday races out, that is not too far from me.

#32 ·
Hancho doesnt even own a mini bike, motorcycle or go kart (besides his RZR). I just went out and was tweaking her a bit. Used the GPS and did a speed run. 30 MPH. Is that fast slow or what compared to the race mini bikes? She still has more in her. I am just scared riding it with out a helmet, shorts, sandles and rotted out tires and a chain that keeps flying off. Still tweaking on her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.