Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Solid surface vanity top in Grand Rapids

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
I'm turning an antique buffet into a bathroom vanity and I need to have a solid surface vanity top made for it. Corian or something similar....

Any suggestions for a place in GR?

Steve

#3 ·
It's similar to this, but with a completely flat, white wood top:

I have an old, rectangular, surface mount sink that I am going to use. The buffet is about 60" wide and 22" deep. The top has a circular bump-out in the front center. I want a solid surface top that will mount right over the existing wood top with a 1" over hang on the front and sides. With the sink being a surface mount, I will only need a hole for the drain and the faucet.

#4 ·
Sounds nice. We started out with the idea of a solid surface because we were worried that water would damage the existing top but it's such a pretty piece that we decided to risk it figuring that we could always cover it later. We just keep a good layer of poly on it and so far it's held up well.

Back to your original question, sorry I can't help. But please post pics of the finished product.

#9 ·
...But please post pics of the finished product.
@whiterhino

It's been a while, but I finally got the buffet installed in the bathroom.
I think it turned out nice. We decided to go with laminate, the solid surface stuff was just too pricy for my budget.

I still need to finish out the trim and other little details.

At least the girls now have a sink and a mirror and I can get them the heck out of the downstairs bathroom...

:thumb:

#6 ·
Its funny how many of these threads that have popped up recently that I am also in the middle of doing. I am going to do a very similar bathroom vanity / sink setup. I have nothing to offer except this random, useless piece of info. I am going with WhiteWhino's method of good top coat on the antique wood.

#22 ·
A little triangulation never hurts. :finger: I was always going to go back and clean it up but never got around to it. The plan was to add a couple more partitions making some triangular storage pocket but since this is a guest/ half bath, it rarely gets used and doesn't need the extra storage. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.