Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Folding a Jeep's windshield on public roads.

17K views 86 replies 28 participants last post by  Fuel Fire Desire 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the laws are regarding this? I just dropped the windshield on my JK for the first time today on my property, and it was a ton of fun. I was wondering if it was legal to drive it on the street with it folded in michigan.

I still have an external rear view mirror (drivers side), and of course eye protection.

I was planning on leaving it down for a while when the weather stays nice to drive to work and back (10 minutes and 35mph or below the whole way). But I havent been able to get a solid answer on the subject, even from local cops. Any links to the actual code would be great too (to keep a copy of the law in my glove box).

And in case anyone was wondering......this aint no CJ. It was a GIANT PITA to put this thing up/ down. Hence why when I put it down again, I want to leave it like that for a while.

See less See more
#6 ·
I saw a guy driving down I75 one day in a ramcharger that looked like it had been rolled, all the windows were broken out including windshield and he was wearing a full faced motor cycle helmet. He drove past a Grand Blanc Cop and didn't get pulled over. Just thought I'd bring that up cause it was hilarious.

#7 ·
Not legal even with eye protection.

P.S. I used to stop a pimp in a Ford Granada all the time for driving with no windshield and wearing goggles. I wrote him 17 tickets in 3 years. After twice in court he just paid the fine and kept driving. It would have been cheaper to get a windshield. The "girls" probably just had to work a bit harder to pay all his fines.

#10 ·
257.708a Windshields; goggles, eyeglasses, or face shields.

Sec. 708a.

A motor vehicle shall not be operated on the public highways of this state unless it is equipped with a windshield of sufficient dimensions to protect the driver and occupants from insects, other airborne objects, and highway surface water and debris, when the motor vehicle is moving forward. A farm tractor, other implement of husbandry, and historic vehicles as defined in section 803a are exempt from this section. When a motorcycle operated on the public highways of this state in excess of 35 miles per hour is not equipped with a windshield, the operator shall wear goggles with transparent lenses or a transparent face shield or eyeglasses, which goggles, eyeglasses, or face shield shall be of shatter resistant material and of sufficient size to protect his eyes against insects, other airborne material, and highway surface water and debris.

#16 ·
257.708a Windshields; goggles, eyeglasses, or face shields.

Sec. 708a.

A motor vehicle shall not be operated on the public highways of this state unless it is equipped with a windshield of sufficient dimensions...
Wait......whats the definition of a "public highway"?

My plan is to only use it on low traffic side roads, and never on anything over 45mph.

#13 ·
However, if your Jeep is old enough to classify as an historic vehicle under 257.803a you can get away without having a windshield.

#39 ·
I'm not fighting. I'll be sore for two weeks. Stan wins. I give up.

#63 ·
Street legal dune buggies are required to have a windshield and windshield wiper.

Even the historical vehicle Jeeps need their windshields up, since they were all equipped with windshields. The only time the historical vehicle thing works is if they weren't equipped in the first place, then they are exempt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.