Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Toyota Solid 8" Axles

57K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  95T-100 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured we needed some toyota axle info :)

Axle Id

Toyota 4x4 Front solid axles
-6 lug 6 on 5.5"
-8" ring gear
-Removable center section(3rd member)
-30 Spline front shafts, they neck down to 27 spline into the birfields
-birfields, basically an early version of a CV shaft. Designed not to bind like Ujionts do when driving in 4x4.

-Trunion/Kingpin/Knuckle, no ball joints.

-Stock Aisin Locking hubs are very stout, usually only replaced for drive flanges.

Toyota 4x4 Rear Solid Axles
-6 lug 6 on 5.5"
-8" ring gear
-Removable center section(3rd member)
-30 Spline axle shafts
-86'-93' Toyota rear axles are beefier and wider then 79'-85' toyota rear axles

Stock Toyota front axle measurements for comparison:
55.5" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, SA Hubs
58.25" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, IFS Hubs
63.5" wide, (set up for coil springs) 90-97 FJ80 and FZJ80 Landcruisers
'86-95 IFS front end is about 58.5" wide
'93-98 T100 IFS front end is about 65" wide

Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks

Toyota 8" diff

Toyota diff info:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Toyota aftermarket upgrades:

www.toyotasuperaxles.com

Chromoly 30 spline super birfields and axle shafts.

They eliminate the neck down on the shaft as well

www.marlincrawler.com

Billet Hi steer arms

Or Forged Steering arms

Factory Electric locker and Hi pinion diff:

Offered on landcruisers (fj80) are Front Hi pinion diffs

Also available is the toyota Hi pinion Electric locker

Standard Low pinion Electric lockers were available with the TRD options on Tacoma's and 4runners.

#3 · (Edited)
Vented rotor swap

Solid toyota front axles come with solid (unvented) rotors

By buying rotors from '81 and up Toyota LC FJ40 and fj80

and calipers from an IFS Toyota (86+ P-up or 4Runner).

You can swap to vented rotors. Does not add any width to the axle.

Rear Disc brakes

Rear disc's are pretty straight forward on toyota rear axles.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/
These guys sell caliper brackets that bolt on

or you can build your own

Many ppl have done them diffrently using different parts, but most us chevy 1/2 ton front rotors and calipers from chevy S10 or if you want an ebrake Cadillac Eldorado.

Tons of info here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281059

#5 ·
They are a bit narrow for a ZJ.

ZJ axles are about 60" WMS/WMS, Toy fronta are 56", the rears are 55" although later one sare 58.5"

If you really want a Toy axle, the late model 4 runners were 60" wide. You could put spacers on the front to get it to 59- 60" or so. My currnet front is 59" with spacers, but I've got a 62" wide custom built housing thats going under it.

#7 ·

All pre-'95 4-cylinder 4wd mini-trucks & 4Runners use the Toyota 8" 2-pinion differential front and rear (except turbo models). This is known as the "4cyl diff." This diff is by far the most common diff in older Toyotas.
Ten 10mm ring gear bolts, 27 spline pinion shaft.

4cyl Turbo and V6* 4Runners and mini-trucks use the Toyota 8" 4-pinion differential in the rear. This diff is known as the "V6/Turbo diff." It has larger carrier bearings, is generally stronger than the standard 4cyl version, and is a direct swap into axles that use the 4cyl 8" diff. Separate gear sets are made for the V6 style diff (only from Toyota and Precision Gear), but cheaper, more readily available 4cyl style gears are commonly made to fit- the only difference being a very slightly larger pinion gear on the V6 style gear (the actual strength difference in gear sets is debatable). The strength increase in this diff over the 4cyl diff comes mainly from the beefed up housing, which stiffens the entire assembly, keeping the gears in proper (stronger) alignment.
Although somewhat rare, there is a version of this diff that came from the factory with 4.88 gears. The carrier (3rd member housing) has a different pinion offset so that the ring gear doesn't need to be as thick. This means that no gears other than the factory 4.88's will fit this particular diff. However, diff cases, commonly called carriers (factory, LSD, lockers, etc.), for the standard V6/Turbo diff should be interchangeable (4cyl and V6/Turbo carriers are NOT interchangeable).

More diff. info here:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

#12 ·
I have received alot of enquiries about compatability for other makes and models. Just like any other axle, it will require work to install. They are not going to bolt into anything else.

For TJ's, YJ's they are narrower and axle drops on the wrong side of the vehicle. Alot of Dana 44's would be better canidates for those jeeps.

#16 ·
I put a set of 84 yota axles (4cyl p/u) in my 93 yj. just needed to get offsets on the rims to make up the differance. But, I also have a chevy drivetrain in it with a d300. Was a lot of fun doin it, especially when i was told "you can't do that!" lol...
I've got a detroit in the rear, open front. 4:11's. 35" boggers. I've had a couple of ring gears in the rear that I gernaded, but other than that. I love em! Goin on 4 years now.

#17 ·
Stock Toyota front axle measurements for comparison:
55.5" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, SA Hubs
58.25" wide, 29" spring perch centers, '79-85 Toyota trucks and 4runners, IFS Hubs
63.5" wide, (set up for coil springs) 90-97 FJ80 and FZJ80 Landcruisers
'86-95 IFS front end is about 58.5" wide
'93-98 T100 IFS front end is about 65" wide
What all is involved in putting ifs hubs on a 79-85 front axle? Im looking to get a little more width out of mine. What all would i need for parts

#29 ·
Stock front axle without a locker will work with up to 33's. But be aware that stock birfields are GARBAGE! If you put longfields in, you could run up to 37's and a locker. I have seen 38's on stock rear shafts and no breaks. I still run stock rear shafts. The weak link with stock axles are the factory birfs.

#31 ·
Yeah, 33s sounds about right. 35s you can do, but want to be careful, especially when turned. I have been pretty good with 38.5s on heavy steel beadlocks with longfields up front, stock rear axles. Have broke something up front, but it was deserved.....

#32 ·
More good info

PRODUCT / ................................................. FT.LB. TORQUE/.... % TWIST
Yukon 4340 Dana 60 35 spline short side axle.........12,000 ..................130
Stock Dana 60 35 spline short side axle .................6,500 ....................35
Yukon 4340 Dana 44 30 spline short side axle ..........5,800 ...................35
Stock dana 44 30 spline........................................5,00 0.....................35
Yukon 4340 Birfield Eliminator kit (ear failure)............5,500......................50
Longfield 4340 30 spline (shaft failure)......................8,500............... ......175
Longfield 4340 27 spline........................................6,50 0.....................75
Stock Toyota Birfield.......................................... ..4,200 .....................45
Stock Toyota Inner Axle.......................................5,000 .....................45
All Pro "Profield"........................................ .......... 3,500 ....................30
Stock toyota Transfer Case Output Shaft.................2,500 ....................65
Longfield treated Transfer case output shaft.............2,500.....................20
Longfield 4340 Transfer Case Output Shaft...............4,000......................25
All Pro Transfer Case Output Shaft..........................2,500 ......................60
Marlin "treated" Transfer Case Output Shaft..............2,500 ......................10
Stock Toyota Hub............................................... .5,800/
Longfield Treated Toy Hub ....................................6,800/
Stock Toyota Flange............................................ .6,000/
Longfield 4340 Flange............................................ Didn't test

#33 ·
Broken 1990 4runner rear axle question

Hi, Is it possible to use a v6 axle housing off a 1990 4runner on a 1990 4runner 4cyl? My tracbar weld broke and I re-welded it but it snapped again and I was wondering if I can just install the v6 axle into my 4cyl 4runner and use the 4cly diff and axle shafts in the v6 housing?

Thanks for any feedback,
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.