Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Garmin Etrex legend

5K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Rattler 
#1 ·
Anybody know anything about these? I can grab a brand new one for under $70. Id like to get into some geo-caching, and Id like to take it biking, hiking and camping with me also.

Worth it, or spend the money on something else?

#2 ·
Monochrome screen or color??

I have used the monochrome screen
(Etrex Legend $41 to $90 on ebay)
and it is a good rugged unit and can take some abuse.

I now have the color screen
(Etrex Legend C $60 to $112 on ebay)
easier to read and has a USB cable for fast connection
to computer and downloading geocaches to it.

I think you would be happier spending a few extra $$
on the color screen!!:thumb:

#4 ·
I've owned several Garmins but never an eTrex...but I have used many eTrex's...and my mom, dad, and brother all bought one. They are nice el-cheap-o starter units. I really think that you would be much happier with a Garmin GPSMAP 60 or 76 series unit. Larger, color, screens with many more features and easier to input data (I never really liked that click-stick and it went bad on my brother's Legend). If price is an object look at the 60C or 76C. If not look at the 60CSx or 76CSx. Just remember that it costs an extra $100 for each detailed mapset (City Navigator, Topo, Blue Charts, etc.) that you want to load into your GPS.

#7 ·
I love the eTrex series. They are super dependable, waterproof, and a good size to hang off your pack or throw in your pocket.

I used to have a Legend, but the 8mb internal memory and black and white screen were limitations for me.

I used it for geocaching, hiking, and navigating in the car. I moved up to the Legend Cx and the expandable memory and color screen are definitely worth the extra $$.

http://www.topchoicedigital.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=9824800&l=Froogle

#9 ·
you can upload tracks and coordinates from your GPS to your computer, also you can plumb your GPS signal into your computer and plot your position realtime on a map.

Only downside I can think of is that the data cable can be expensive.

#10 ·
I have the legend, and am happy with it. A friend of mine has the expensive Garmin (colorado) and mine performed just as well as his. In my opinion the legend was better, due to the price and, most importantly, the battery life. I can go days on 2 AA's. The colorado lasts 8 hours on a good day.

#11 ·
I have had a legend for over two years now, and love it. I use it to geocache, hunt and where ever else you may need a gps. It has taking a beating and still works fine, the weather does not hurt it eaither. I think it is worth the money.

#12 ·
I have both the monochrome and color. I bought the first one when it came out, well before the turn by turn stuff. I also bought the companion program for my computer. That would let you load different maps into the unit, and program routes. Or, you could also slave the handheld unit to the computer and use it as an antenna. At the time, it was the coolest thing ever. But now its a PITA to use for anything other than off road stuff or hiking. (Maps take FOREVER to load, and it doesnt hold much more than one city)

I now keep mine in my jeep full time, and since its waterproof, its always on my side when hiking or kayaking. Works great making maps or finding lat/ lon.

#18 ·
The mapping software I had loaded on my computer was very useful. It had all roads in the united states, and I mean ALL. There were roads marked on that software that were abandoned decades ago and are nothing more than jeep trails now. It also had a nice mapping page, detailed position information (heading, speed, lat, lon, alt, and a ton of other stuff I cant remember).

Everything except the road maps could be used with the monochrome out of the box. The computer program just added the ability to load maps (topo or road) and plan routes (the monochrome doesnt do turn by urn, it does direct to headings). It even has some nautical markers in it.

Compared to a tom tom or other similar car based GPS, its outdated and kind of crappy. But as a GPS its an excellent deal, and does just about everything you want it to.

5 or 6 years ago the program was like $50.

#19 ·
I have a regular Etrex and a Legend. I picked up the Legend at a local Dunham's with the Mapsource software for @ $115. You cannot beat the customer support/service with Garmin. I like it and it seems to work good but I am going to sell both of mine to upgrade to a 276 in the Spring.

#20 ·
ive had my original legend for 6 yrs. It had a problem when it was about 6 months out of warranty. I sent it in anyways and in about 10 days they sent me a replacement. It has worked flawlessly and has really gotten me out of problems more than once. It's a big help when you take a wrong exit in a big city and end up in a seedy part of town.

#22 ·
Buy the unit for $70 and MapSource City Navigator -OR- Topo 2009 for $100 (each). I always recommend that people buy the CN first, as everybody will use it much more than TOPOs. You will be able to drive or hike trails and then download "tracks" from your GPS into your computer. Or you can take your laptop with you and hook your gps to it and the tracks are already in it (cables cost around $33 if purchased seperately but are included with the GPS when you buy it).

I like to run a cigarette lighter power cable to my GPS when I am in my Jeep/truck. Saves on battery life big time.

I also use a suction cup style mount in my Jeep and truck but my friends who use eTrex's just wedge them between the dash and the windshield glass (they have a rubber pad that goes all around the GPS so this works great for them).

#25 ·
FWIW Im happy with mine so far when it comes to functionality, ease of use, the only thing Im worried about is how accurate it will be under tree cover being that it is a couple years behind technology wise. <== really wont matter THAT much when it comes to tracks and waypoints, I guess Im thinking of geocache accuracy....

With wide open clear sky it spends a lot of time at 7'-15' accuracy. I haven't tried it much under trees.

The fact that it is serial port only is kind of a hassle too. Like i said it is slow downloading maps, but I dont think Ill be doing that very often...tracks, waypoints and coordinates download pretty fast. But luckily I use a ~10 year old desktop at home, it has a serial port. Looks like Ill be looking for some type of USB converter if I want to use the laptops.

Anyhow, I paid $105 for mine. I dont regret getting it. And ignorance is bliss ( i have no idea of what the newer units are capable of) so Im happy

#26 ·
I have the Legend C version, about 5 years old? As a universal GPS unit, its great. Lasts for days on standard batteries. Quick to grab off the dash and run a trail to see where it goes. Take with me backpacking, hunting, etc.. Turn the backlight on to navigate and view, then turn it off to get the long battery life out of it.

I use the GPS mainly to keep a record of where I have been and where I am. I use paper maps for most everything else (planning where to go next, whats around me, alternate routes, proximity to stuff) simply because I can see HUGE areas quickly. But knowing your on the NE side about 1/4mile from a lake makes finding yourself on a paper map very quick.

When I get home I download my tracks and waypoints (rarely use 'em) and keep a running tab of where I have been and when and what I've found.

I use the TOPO software only. Its TOPO USA and then TOPO Canada. I bought both because I like to explore Canada too. But this is because I don't use the GPS to drive with on the street, only when I'm in the woods does it come on.

My unit has USB connection so uploading nearly the entire State of Michigan TOPO Maps takes a couple minutes. I wouldn't buy something without USB.

Personally, I think its a great entry/mid level GPS. I haven't decided where I'm going after this model yet, either large screen dedicated GPS for the dash, or do a mini laptop. But I have a feeling I'm going to just invest in more paper maps and keep the little GPS.

Lucas

#30 ·
My unit has USB connection so uploading nearly the entire State of Michigan TOPO Maps takes a couple minutes. I wouldn't buy something without USB.

Personally, I think its a great entry/mid level GPS. I haven't decided where I'm going after this model yet, either large screen dedicated GPS for the dash, or do a mini laptop. But I have a feeling I'm going to just invest in more paper maps and keep the little GPS.

Lucas
Solved this issue already for $12

http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp

I know it wont affect the speed of uploading/downloading, but at least Ill be able to hook it up to my tablet or laptops. I dont mind walking away from the computer for 15minutes while the thing transfers :thumb:

#32 ·
Well, i picked it up today, just happens that it got marked down again, so I got it for $33 and change (75% off)

I set up my account on geocaching.com last night, im a little disappointed that I cannot view the forums for 24hrs though. There appears to be a lot of cache's within walking distance from my house so I plan on getting out and exploring some things this weekend.
I went for a quick 2mile hike with it when I got it home and the accuracy never got better than ~22feet, hopefully it will pick up a few more satellites and give me some more accuracy sometime.

Uploading caches from the computer only takes a second, so that is good.

I would like to get some more detailed maps for it, but that may wait until I figure out how I want to use the thing. It came pre-loaded with basic maps of all of North and South America.

#37 ·
Ive been playing with this thing for a couple months now, and I love it. Ive logged 28 geocache finds in the past couple months.

My only complaints are that I updated the maps for Wake Co. to some really nice Topo maps from the internet, and it takes the GPS a while to draw them with the detail all the way up. Also, under tree cover, it gets a little screwy sometimes. I stood in one place the other day and watched the goto needle go all the way around the circle 2 times before it decided which way to send me.

All in all, I like the unit, but I will probably be upgrading before too long. Id like to be able to hold topos for the entire state, preferable on an SD card. I dont mind the monochrome screen, but it does get a little hard to read sometimes. I actually just got mapsource installed tonight, and being able to upload tracks and stuff will be nice, just to see where I have been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.