Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Smittybilt XRC8 winch?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ppkaprince98 
#1 ·
The wife just gave me the go ahead to get a winch for the flatty, There are 2 versions of this winch, the 1st generation and second generation. The first has a 4.1hp permanent magnet motor and the second gen has a 5.5 hp series wound, anyone know how to tell the difference in the 2 winches?

Or anyone know of another decent winch in the $300 range? I wanted a PTO winch on the flatty, or an old school warn, but it just isn't in the cards right now, and won't be for awhile, I figure when I upgrade this can be a rear winch for the YJ.

The most use it will get is raising and lowering the snowblade :sonicjay:

#3 ·
mine works but as said its SLOW.. and the controller SUCKS ! im on the 2nd one and its doing the same thing.. the rocker switch keeps sticking It got bumped in the cab and stuck in the spool out mode.. causing the entire spool of cable to get all fucked up !

if you're only using it to raise the blade buy a cheapo $50 atv 2k from HF ive got one on our car trailer and its pulled the s-10 u single line running off only a jump box

#6 ·
I have the Smitty series 1. It is slow, but has never stalled. I've never had an issue with the remote either. I've had about 4 or 5 easy recoveries and 3 or 4 hard pulls with it. No worries at all.

The 4.1hp motor is the 8K rated winch. The 5.5hp is 10K rated.

the cheapest place I found was www.winchdepot.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.