Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My Garage Build

10K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  RDK_YJ88 
#1 ·
After one boring night of searching around the internet, I stumbled upon www.garagejournal.com. After looking through a few pictures on there, I was hooked! I have been sick of the crappy layout of my garage and decided to redo it.

To start things off, the awful before picture.

Please note, those were taken on a bad day. :bdr2: The one thing that I do like about the garage and I plan to keep and expand on is the peg board. I hate digging through tool boxes/chests, and am a strong believer of every tool having a place. I love the peg board because every tool is out in the open and easy to find. My plan for the layout (not set in stone yet) is to have the left side be the "bay" for the Jeep and the right side to be the work shop with a work bench. Below the Peg board will be cabinets and some kind of countertop with my PC on top. I have plans of putting a TV in here some where just not sure where yet. In between the bay and work shop I would like another work bench on wheels that can be moved.

Heres a pic of the peg board that is currently in there.

First step was to get the garage cleaned out enough to start the paint process.

The previous owners of the house had dry walled the garage but didn't tape and mud one side. So it was up to me to finish it. Here's a pic of the tape on the wall.

This was my first time doing any type of dry wall work, so you don't get any finished pics. :sonicjay:

Now onto the paint. The paint scheme I am going with is made of three colors, light grey, black, white. Light grey will be the bottom four feet with white on top, the black will be a small stripe to separate the two. I first painted the walls with white primer, then went and painted with flat white paint. Once that was dry I measured up 4 feet, drew a line, and taped it off for the grey. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to add the black stripe.

I will be painting the doors white, and the trim around the doors, lights, and attic opening will be grey. The shelves will also be grey.

Once the paint is done I plan to do a few more things. I'd like to recess the lights into the ceiling with some molding around them. Also looking into flooring options, (open to opinions).

For work the work bench I'd like to make one that is attached to the wall with out legs so I will be able to easily sweep underneath it.

I have a few more ideas bouncing around the old noggin but I'm open to any Ideas/comments/criticism.

See less See more
#7 ·
Got a few more things done tonight. I got the black stripe painted on and was also able to do some grey trimmings. I got the trim around the attic opening done and decided to paint one of the doors grey to see how I liked it. I have to say the door came out good, and I will be doing the other door too.

Door:

The color looks off because the door is still wet.

Here is a before picture of the other door (it's ugly):

Black stripe:

And the Attic opening:

I have to say, I'm not very good at painting, so I have some small touch ups to do.

#12 ·
Well, I was able to get a little more work done over the past few days. I was able to get the other door all painted, and it looks a ton better! Onlyinmyxj22 stopped by today and helped me get all of the other crap out of the garage so i can get the floors degreased and cleaned tomorrow. I'm also looking into flooring options (rustoleum expoxy paint, Behr epoxy paint, etc).

A few pics of the progress:

Door:

Todays progress:

Also put in all new electrical sockets and light switches with Stainless Steel covers.

#16 ·
Well, cleaning the floor really didn't sound like much fun, so I decided to start on the work benches. I went with the wall mounted style because what i hated the most about my other benches, was not being able to sweep under then very easily. The new bench is 8'x8' and the bench itself is 2.5' deep. Sits roughly 40" off the floor. On the back side of the bench, towards the garage door, I will turn it into a little "bar" with stools.

Than plan is to have my Desktop PC on the far left of the wall mount bench, with a TV on the wall above it.

Now for some progress pictures:

Nice wood

Wall mount bench:

The island.

Hope to finish these up tomorrow, and then start on the mobile work bench that will "box" off the other benches.

#28 ·
Already in the plans. :thumb:

So why did you block off part of your garage door with the work bench?
The garage is not intended to be a parking lot. Just some where I can fit the Jeep in and work on it. There is over half of the garage remaining to fit the Jeep.

One suggestion on the workbench. If you are planning on having a vise and be beating on it for things like u-joints, I suggest at least one vertical support post underneath it. Otherwise, the cantilevered overhang will want to bounce.
I was trying to keep the same look of the work bench through out the whole thing, but I have plans for the vise, drill press, belt sander, etc to go on the bench/cabinets that will be building under the Peg board. Also will have a small vise on the mobile bench thats going in the middle. This was just a design I wanted to try, and if it didn't work out, I have another piece of 4x4 that I can put it there.

#32 ·
Well, I decided against building cabinets under the peg board, and just built another wall mount bench. This one is 10 ft long and a little lower than the others (to fit under the peg board). Also started on the mobile bench, and played around with a few ideas of where to put it.

The Jeep fits great with plenty of room all the way around it.

New work bench:

Mobile bench (possible placement ideas):

This is where it will probably stay:

Overall view:

#33 ·
Man it's looking good. It has me wanting to build my garage now!

#35 ·
Thanks! So far I'm into this build for under $500. That includes paint and paint materials, wood, screws, nails, electrical outlets/switches/covers, concrete cleaner/degreaser, castor wheels, and a new circular saw. One day I may add up the receipts.

This thread motivated me to clean my garage this past weekend. :d:
Glad I could help. :teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.