Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Deulings' dune runner K5

129K views 716 replies 81 participants last post by  Alex456123 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. New here. Been over on CK5 for a few years. Thought I would see if I can get to know some more local wheelers, and more importantly find parts that arent all out in CALI lol :thumb:

Heres my 85 K5, Put a 408 SBC in 2 summers ago. Prolly 3k miles on it now.

Last summer had a 700r4 Built by the best local guy around, also put a transgo stage 2 reprogramming kit. I love how crisp it shifts now, and I put the biggest cooler I could find with an electric fan pulling air.

Also has a 2500 RPM Hughes Lock up converter.

I play in the sand, bout it, some mild two tracking here and there, no mud.

The day after I bought it.

Build party with a guy from CK5, Kert from DIY4x was there and well after much liquid persuasion from the guys..... I got me some new stickers :sonicjay:

Then the motor started knocking, so I talked around and had a guy start building me a 400 he had laying around.

Free shorties I cleaned up in my bosses blast cabinet.

Scored 2.5" mandral exhaust from an exhaust shop for $80. Also painted the headers.

Got a new top, other one had busted windows.

All sanded down

All Primed and Painted

Engine Time

My Buddy helped and so did my lady.

Junk

Finally Got pics of the motor

See less See more
#466 ·
Thanks!

More to come?
Nice work.
oh yes lol. Thanks

nice job. keep it up
Thanks!!!

Tonights progress. 4 more bars on the upper sides and the "rear cage" is done. Im thinking the 160' I ordered is not gonna be sufficient to make it into the engine bay....

Im not sure why, but these ones kicked my butt today. I wasn't really in shop mode today after work, so im sure that didn't help. But I got them done and in.

Yes the bench is crooked, its not hooked in.

#467 ·
So lesson of the day. Make sure the round thingy goes through both holes of the U shaped thingy, otherwise you get to spend a half an hour straightening it back out........ (this pic was about halfway through the process of pounding it back... It was way worse when i started lol)

After that i made stuff.

And just so people don't question me, no there is no magic notching machine im using, my best method I have found for big angles, is to max the notcher out at 50 degrees, and then use that profile to extend the notch. Then once I get it to fit good, I draw the cut onto the next tube and that one always takes about 1/10th the time of the first....

#469 · (Edited)
So I decided I didnt want to use the 1" for the arrow head gusset thingy. So i asked a buddy if he had some 1.25 or 1.5. Had a stick of 1.25 7 ft long. And a stick of 1.75 6.5 ft long that I forgot I had in his shop.

So it all fit in chevy sonic hatch no problem, because as we all know Chevy Sonics are Boss Cars :naughty:

So im thinking dimples everywhere (even more than posted in the one pic) instead of the triangle cut out thing.

The side bars actually kick in a bit and give a bit of side to side bracing which I like.

#471 ·
Very unique, looks great. I really appreciate the attention to detail and the time it takes to get all those notches right....they're a pain in the ass.

#477 ·
So I needed to come up with a low profile "no lift" mount to the sliders for the rear of the seats. It needs to go on the bottom side of the slider. But this creates a challenge because you cant have any flanges on the back side, because they will hit the sliders when you go forward....

#478 ·
Seats and sliders are in. That was way more work than I expected. But all is tacked in, and even just tacked, solid as hell :D

A chunk of 1/2" poop pipe, and some flanged nuts, mixed with more unitstrut, were my solution for the front mounts. I like them.

This pic gives a good idea of how much headroom i still have. Sitting in the seats, im sitting much higher than I was in the stock seats, yet I still have tons of headroom to run the rest of the cage. My head goes to the top of the seats. Doesn't extend much past that.

#481 ·
So I needed to get the harnesses hooked up and that required more tube.

Wasn't sold on the bar straight across. I need people in the rear seat to actually be able to have an exit point if we do per chance, catch on fire etc....

Dad showed up at the shop by surprise and we did some measuring and came up with this.

Stopped at A&A after work and got some goodies.

This is dads "its PERFECT" pose :D

All the way back

Pretty much "driving/riding position"

None of it is welded. I had to hold it up with my knee or other things to get the pics. Just a general idea of it.

Was also super cool working with my dad for a bit. Don't get that very often.

#485 ·
Yah youtube is gay. I guess you cant have music playing on the radio or it focks you.

Facebook hasnt turned **** yet though so heres the link if you still wanna see my dorky skinny ass playing with my seats :nana:

https://www.facebook.com/adam.deuling/videos/10206732551815070/?pnref=story

In other news....

After lots of getting bitched at. I moved the rear mounts up so I dont break my back.... And did other things.

#488 ·
No its all tacked

Hope to pull out the 3/4 cage I have built tomorrow and fully weld it. And then put it back in to do the a pillar stuff, because I wont be able to pull it once those are in because it will hit the roof.

Its ok. I love welding, and just put a fresh 33lb spool in, fresh tank of gas, new liner, and new tips on the welder... Im ready to weld :nana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.